I ordered mine!

Page 2 of 3

You need a CNC water jet saw. It'll make perfectly precise cuts without ever dulling the cutting material at all. Get one with an optional laser attachment, and rabbets and mortises become possible.
Puckdropper
--
U and I are the vowels in Stupid.

Would I need to use a hair dryer on the wood afterward? ;~)
Leon wrote:

Well, we haven't established what kind of board the 7-1/2 wide joint is being cut in, have we? If it's a 4" wide board with a 2" deep dado, then I think *I* will choose to remove the waste with a bandsaw, and I don't think it would be hard at all. And in *particular*, dado blades are typically designed to be dialed in to a specific width, say 31/64", 23/32", 3/4", or whatever, using a single pass to receive say, a shelf board of that particular thickness. If you want to use a dado blade to hog out 58 cubic inches of of waste wood, be my guest, but it seems kinda dumb to me. I'd much rather remove the majority of the waste by other means and simply use the dado blade to smooth out the bottom of the joint.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Indeed! Please send pics of you cutting several dozen perfectly flat 7.5" dadoes in oak tubafores with your coping saw. <chortle>
-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson
On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 11:33:28 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey

Holy Shit, Batman! You're going to notch out 7.5 INCHES at a bit under 1/8 inch at a time? You either have autistic or Downs genes in your line, boy. Nobody normal has patience by that sized truckload. 'Course, normal isn't the norm here on the Wreck, is it? ;)
Why you no use CNC, kemosabe? Maybe stack 6-up on the crosscut sled with two stops, then CNC 'em out (if you get tearout with your bit.)
-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson
Larry Jaques wrote:

<whisper mode=on> I'm actually more likely to use my ancient Sears wobble dado and cut 3/4" at a time, and it's still possible that I've escaped the bounds of normality - I'm the only software guy I know of who has taken more than nine years to get a single program running. Twice. :) <whisper mode=off>

While I really like the CNC router for precise, intricate production work, using it for a one-off project usually means writing a part program, tearing down the fixturing, setting up for this job, debugging the part program, running my one-off parts, tearing that down, and reinstalling the original fixturing.
Sometimes it's just easier, more fun, and more satisfying to fire up the old Unisaur. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

The kerfmaker jig has a 1/2" kerf limitation. ;~( Yeah I know put the wobbler on after establishing the outside cuts but that involves adjusting for proper height again. But if you build a bigger'n ........

Yeah! nothing like using your hands a bit more. LOL. CNC is to a TS as a TS is to Hand Saw.
On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 16:23:44 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey

Ouchouchouchouchouch.
Grok that.
-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson
Larry Jaques wrote:

No ouches. In retrospect, both efforts seem worthwhile - and both programs nibbled at the edges of how something might be "known". The first program dealt with knowledge and context in a "static" sense, and the second dealt with some of the "dynamics" of knowing. I had planned to write a third program to explore the interrelatedness of knowledge, but ran out of time (I guesstimated that the third program would take more than fifteen years to get right).
Whether any of that was worthwhile for its own sake is uncertain - but I'm quite sure that the effort added up to good learning experience. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Crapsman wobble dado = ouch #1, and that's a biggie.

And if you don't think that constitutes an ouch, you're freakin' nerveless!

In this case, it soitenly reflects the saying "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."
-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson
Larry Jaques wrote:

Mine cost less than $15 and has done an adequate job at what I've wanted it to do for almost forty years. For me, that's not an ouch.
That folks whose focus is building fine furniture don't like the not-perfectly-flat bottomed kerf doesn't bother me. I don't build furniture, and when I /need/ a flat-bottomed kerf I choose a different tool. <shrug>

Hmm - I don't /feel/ nerveless, and for as long as I can remember I've thought that saying something was "impossible" was a poor excuse for not making it possible.
The old saw about the impossible just taking a bit longer contains more than a modicum of truth. I know people who spent more time developing a better golf game, polishing their musical abilities, or perfecting brush strokes than I spent on my endeavors.

Not so in these cases - I produced demonstratable general solutions to both entire classes of problems in a form that I could (and did) share with other people. When I published the first, Steve "the Waz" Wozniac flew out to take me to dinner and warned me there were perhaps five people in the world who could understand what I'd done, but we agreed that the solution was worth the effort - and that I'd opened a new doorway for others to walk through.
The techniques and methods learned raised the quality of the work that I did and allowed me to provide the folks who paid me to help solve their problems with results that were universally better, faster, /and/ less costly than they expected.
Resources expended are only an "ouch" if wasted. I don't think I've wasted (or am wasting) much of mine - that's something everyone has to decide for themselves (and, as Frost pointed out, there are /always/ roads not taken).
I have other things to do with what a stacked dado set would cost, and other tools that do its job even better. I can live with my wobbler. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I have to say, I think I still have mine around here some where.

snip
I really cannot say that using the wobble blade make ne nervous either. It is well balanced. For me it's drawbacks were rounded bottoms, not so smooth cuts, and damn hard to accurately adjust the width. IIRC tightening the arbor nut seemed to always change the width setting.

I've got one of those wobble dados in question. It sure does adjust when tightening the arbor nut. It does good enough in cutting, but boy is it difficult to adjust the width. If width is important, it's just not worth the trouble.
Were I hogging out several large sections (say for half lap joinery), it would be worth using. For box joints or anything where width is important, it's just not worth it.
Hey Morris, think we could use the sun's rays to make a laser saw?
Puckdropper
--
There is no signature. There is a signature.

Puckdropper wrote:

It's possible that I just got lucky, but I haven't had that problem.

Ooooo! Nice shiny bait - maybe just a /tiny/ nibble...
Should be do-able *but* I would expect that SWMBO might object strenuously if the smoke collection system were anything less than absolutely perfect.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
"Puckdropper" wrote:

IMHO, damn things don't even make a poor boat anchor..
Good for re-melt in an electric arc furnace.
Lew
On 08 Nov 2009 04:38:39 GMT, the infamous Puckdropper

IANMD, but, sure. Hmm, wouldn't the 4' wide, very charred kerf be a sales killer, though?
-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us... -----------------------------------------------------
snip

Didn't Goldfinger do something like that? ;~)

We could put a giant laser on the moon, use the sun's rays to power it and set our boards outside to have them precision cut from space!
Or maybe we mount a giant "laser" on the moon and ask for one million Kpax saws (pinky finger on corner of mouth.) [Mixed movie alert.]
Puckdropper
--
You changed this signature by reading it!

Puckdropper wrote:

FWIW, the Uzbeks are running a one million watt solar-pumped laser at a research facility.
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 03:18:34 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke"

A million? Now _that_ is what I call Lasik!