How to cut quarter round really really fast?

Page 1 of 2
I install a large amount of quarter round in customers' homes and being wondering if there is a faster tool to cut the angles. I now use either a power mitre saw or the mitre box & hand saw combination. Is there any special power tool to cut these angles?
Mon, Nov 29, 2004, 8:08pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (ississauga) who wonderingly asks: I install a large amount of quarter round in customers' homes and being wondering if there is a faster tool to cut the angles. I now use either a power mitre saw or the mitre box & hand saw combination. Is there any special power tool to cut these angles?
Yeah. It's called a power mitre saw. Compound angle.
Faster tool? It would appear you seem to have left out some details, because I don't understand your question as asked. I would think a power mitre saw would be about as fast as you could get, and still make accurate cuts. Of course, I would say a hatchet would be faster - albeit, not quite as accurate.
Are you cutting different angles, and having to change the settings on your mitre saw? The time it takes slowing you down? Or what? Inquiring minds want to know.
If it's the time changing angles, one solution would be two, or more, power mitre saws, each set at a different angle.
But, now I'm curious. If you are installing quarter round in customer homes, it would seem you do it for a living, or at least remuneration. How long have you been doing it?
JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind. - Dr Seuss
Look at these: http://www.sylvanproducts.com/products/hardware.html?o =/
I use them on concrete chamfer strip. Clean precise cuts. Great tool.

absolutely, dan. i borrowed a pair of shoe cutters like this years ago when doing production trim on a 700 home development. keep a sharp blade on it. you can get them with different base plates for different miters. you never have to stand up when shoeing a room. i do only custom cabinet work now and havent used them in quite some time, but i'll never get rid of them. best inexpensive toll i've ever purchased.
Has anyone out there ever tried a miter guillotine? I've seen some that range in price from $150 to over $2k. How well do they work?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (ississauga) wrote in message

On 30 Nov 2004 04:47:04 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (moore) wrote:

I've never seen one that cut. They're really only for trimming a whisker off things. Nice tools for picture framing, but not for quick cuts.
For fast mitres in trim work, I prefer a hand saw and a good mitre box. It takes minimal time to make the cut, it's the setup that needs the effort. I can work much faster with a handsaw, because I know I can stick my fingers into the working area without major risk.
--
Smert' spamionam

On 30 Nov 2004 04:47:04 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (moore) wrote:

I have one. they work great.
they don't do through cuts though. they're for cleaning up your miter saw cut.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (moore) wrote:

They're handy and do an excellent job for 'extra' fine adjustments They don't cut 'through' though. Also to cut the head off of a 16d nail... like that helper did...... that used to work for me.... funny, I haven't seen him around at all since that day.... 'tis been over a year now.
Must have been something I said...
or the look in my eyes?
*shrugs*

I think mine would cheerfully take the head off a helper, without even chipping the blades. You've got to love that 115 year old ironwork.
--
Smert' spamionam

You must have really been attached to that nail. Was it your last one? ET
On 29 Nov 2004 20:08:30 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (ississauga) wrote:

molding sheers. i use em every day and they are far and away faster than any power saw. i get mine from butki tool. http://www.butkitool.com / not sure if they are doing online ordering yet. they were not thwe last time i got some. just call em and tell em what you need. cost is 44 dollars plus shipping last time i ordered. woodcraft and others carry a similar type but they dont last as long and require sharpening more often. the ones at butki are german made under the brand name "lowe". if you are only going to do this job one time the cheeper ones will do fine. i think they were 20 dollars at woodcraft. i use mine every day for business so i get the best i can find. hope this helps.
skeez

Faster? How about the Bosch Power Hand Saw, http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tools-detail.htm?H 5981&GT928&IU132 .
I have done this also in new home construction. The cutting is the fast part with a Electric Miter saw. The measuring, walking to the saw and returning to nail the molding is the slow part. With the Bosch saw you may be able to cut the molding at the location it will be installed and stay on your knees. BTY why are you using 1/4 molding instead of the traditional shoe molding?
Here is a link to what I think you are looking for.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page2922&category=1,42884&ccurrency=1&SID Daniel
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (ississauga) wrote in message

More work. The wood has to be cut close and then trimmed in the Miter Trimmer.

On 29 Nov 2004 20:08:30 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (ississauga) wrote:

Whoa there, Zippy! How is it possible that you need something "faster" than a power miter saw? Heck, even a dull handsaw only takes a few seconds to cut quater round- I think I even used a utility knife once in a pinch, with fairly quick results. Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:21:30 -0600, Prometheus

maybe his quarter round is 6" radius... didja think of that? huh, didja?
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:29:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

No, I guess I didn't. Hmmm... does your quarter round have a 6" radius? Perhaps a chainsaw is the way to go... Seriously, though- why the need for such speed? I always found the measuring and nailing to take a heck of a lot longer than the cutting! Those trimmers the other posters mentioned look like they're more for making a clean finished edge or correcting a bad angle (both of which are real useful, but I don't know that adding a step saves any time) than for chomping through a million linear feet of 1/4 round in 5.5 seconds flat.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

I do Trim and Stairs for a living and I have to install quarter round (a lot of it) I use a SCMS (dewalt). an average house (all the hardwood and tile) only takes about 4 hours. Unless the measuring sucks and you have to keep re-cutting the stuff. If you install "a large amount" as you say the speed should come naturally.
ississauga wrote:

Well, a power mitre saw is pretty fast - but if you need to go /really/ fast, it's difficult to beat a chain saw...
(^:
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar