Home Depot Plywood Quality

Page 5 of 10
How different the aftermath of Katrina would have been had there been a pile of rublle to stand on top of...with a bull-horn. The image of minorities paddling for dear life makes for lousy photo- ops.
Robatoy wrote:

What would be different? Why would a hurricane or flood care what race it chose for victims? While major media did play the race card facts pretty much didn't support it...death counts certainly didn't .....in fact much of the initial wildly exaggerated claims for 10,000 or more dead and many of the horror stories from the shelters were all bullshit as well.... but when honest accountability gets in the way of a dramatic story why wreck it? The initial system failure was all local including the re-elected black mayor. That some hospitals or nursing homes were not evacuated is certainly of local responsibility. That thousands choose to ignore the warnings and did not leave rests solely with the individual as well. Further since the city had a black majority and white deaths were not proportionate to their population one might claim some white discrimination.
The FEDs are not ever first responders, nor constitutionally can they be, at least if it involves the military.
Best case scenario ....when a city of a half of million, has nearly 80% housing stock flooded.... realistically what could anyone do logistically that would have made much difference in that first week or so that wasn't done?......It does beg the question of why anyone thinks a major disaster is painless and a not inconvenient. Rod

And the morons want to build it BELOW SEA LEVEL AGAIN!!!!!
Some people never learn.

problems, but that's why they have engineers. Most of the time it works very well. Sometimes it doesn't (January 1953 was bad), and a new "plan" is instituted. Somewhere there is a lesson or two in that experience for New Orleans.
--
Best regards
Han

Well, when half the country is at or below sea level, you don't have much choice. I submit that we do have a choice as to what parts of NOLA to rebuild.
todd

Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Most of the Netherlands doesn't have a choice, there's nowhere else to build. New Orleans does. It's moronic to rebuild somewhere that has constant problems, as New Orleans always has, when you can build it somewhere else without those problems.
On Mon, 28 May 2007 20:13:05 GMT, Brian Henderson

New Orleans is manageable with the right funding and engineering knowledge, being heavily populated by blacks doesn't help secure the right funding though, if it were somewhere "paler" then you could guarantee the money would be provided.
But just wait until the huge landslip occurs at Cumbre Vieja on La Palma in the Canary Islands. Above sea level or not the entire eastern seaboard will be under water much deeper (as in about half a MILE deeper) than New Orleans ever was.
The only hope? Grab a surfboard, put Surfin' USA on your Ipod, kiss your ass goodbye and ride that wave.

Ohhh, and don't forget your tinfoil hat!

<http://eclectech.co.uk/mindcontrol.php
;-)

Oh puhleeze! The fact is that money was provided to the city of NOLA in years past. Rampant corruption funneled a significant amount of that money away from the levee projects that were to be reinforced.
This had nothing to do with race, this had to do with people who were expecting the government to solve all of their problems and local politicians who couldn't find their @#$ with both hands and a map.
Even MSNBC piles on: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9342186 /
http://katrinacoverage.com/tag/corruption/page/4 /
http://katrinacoverage.com/2005/09/08/levee-corruption-flashback-to-nov-29-2004.html
http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id 0008860
On Mon, 28 May 2007 18:26:23 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Exactly, but it's easier to point fingers and claim racism than to deal with the fact that they were given the money to fix the levees time and time again and they squandered it.
with both hands and a map.
You are dead on.
Somebody wrote:
> Oh puhleeze! The fact is that money was provided to the city of NOLA in > years past. Rampant corruption funneled a significant amount of that > money > away from the levee projects that were to be reinforced. <snip>
Since long before Huey Long, Louisiana has been known for great food, great music, and rampant corruption.
Fortunately, none of that has anything to do with the necessity of saving human life in an emergency, a job which unfortunately fell to FEMA, which had been systematically stripped of it's resources since 2000.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:
| Fortunately, none of that has anything to do with the necessity of | saving human life in an emergency, a job which unfortunately fell to | FEMA, which had been systematically stripped of it's resources | since 2000.
Before that, even. During the floods of '93 I spent several days as the volunteer operator of the FEMA communications center in the Hoover Federal Building in Des Moines. It was a particularly easy job since there was zero traffic in and zero traffic out.
Mike wrote:

What is with this steady race drumbeat?.......The state is only 1/3 minority...does this mean that the 2/3 white population is somehow deprived racially as well?
Incidentally Louisiana earns a billion and half annually from Gulf oil/natural gas royalties, maybe some of that windfall should be put to proper use. Rod

Them mega-tsunamis are fun, huh? But at least they don't happen every year like hurricane season.

I believe that NO would be managable with the right management. IIRC a lot of money that should have gone into securing the city went into polititions pockets.
Morris Dovey wrote:

I'm not sure how that relates.
The natural disaster of Katrina, turned the light of reality on blatant racism as well as complete government indifference and incompetence at all levels, especially federal; however, none of that relates to alternate energy pursuits, IMHO.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote: | Morris Dovey wrote: | || That doesn't bode well. Consider the lessons of Katrina... | | I'm not sure how that relates. | | The natural disaster of Katrina, turned the light of reality on | blatant racism as well as complete government indifference and | incompetence at all levels, especially federal; however, none of | that relates to alternate energy pursuits, IMHO.
Many people are delaying action in order to maximize a hoped-for government payment (either an entitlement or a tax incentive), much as many people lived in New Orleans staking their futures on hoped-for government maintenance of the levee system.
The lesson: It would appear to be a mistake to make important decisions based on expected behavior of government - regardless of whether those expectations involve public safety or energy policy.