Hinges - Silver - Where to find?

Page 1 of 2
Does anyone know who can supply Silver Hinges suitable for small jewelry boxes.
I know about Lee Valley and many of the usual suspects - brass only.
So far only hinges I can find are brass.. or brass-plated steel.
--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

google is your friend. somewhere out there they exist.
if that fails, any bench jeweller could whip out a pair or three in no time. might not even cost all that much.
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

Tried google. If It had worked - I would not have posted here. Phoned Jewelers. No one likes making custom hinges.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Will wrote:

If you have access to a ceramics studio (look around--lots of schools and community centers and the like have ceramics programs) you might find <http://www.pmcguild.com/v53techtip2.html to be of interest. I'd never heard of it before--seems like intersting stuff.

--
--John
On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:43:01 -0500, "J. Clarke"

It's very good stuff. Pure silver (or gold, depending). I don't know how strong and hard it is, though. Although I suppose you could form your hinges around pieces of brass tube to provide the bearing surfaces for the hinges.
On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 19:20:17 -0500, the inscrutable Will

Try www.Ganoksin.com/borisat/tip_sear.htm or the links there. They're jewelry folks.
--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
There is a similar site for Silver smiths. I tried that - could not find any one.
Larry Jaques wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Unisaw A100 wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Will wrote:

As I said in my original reply, I was assuming you meant chrome or nickel.
Sorry, can't help you and I really doubt anyone else will be able to either.

A'yup. One of the problems with the Internet. Have you Googled the Hunt brothers?
Unisaw A100
thanks to everyone who read this and tried to help.
Still looking.
Will wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

You could try to make your own, I suppose.
Some leads here: <http://users.erols.com/jyavins/solder.htm .
Try looking for Nickel-Silver hinges, too.
scott
Will wrote:

http://www.sanmartin.com/ looks expensive http://www.anthonyholt.co.uk/astonmartin/ they make stuff with 'silver' hinges, maybe real http://www.gtcreations.com/engagement2.html also uses silver hinges, price seems right for the real stuff These were the best options from alltheweb.com Joe
Wow! Now that is nice stuff. http://www.gtcreations.com/engagement2.html
Joe Gorman wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Joe Gorman wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Kinda important:
Is silver rigid enough in the size you want for the application?
All the jewellery boxes I've ever seen (and I have four sisters...) have had small brass hinges.
Another hobby of mine is silversmithing. Making a good hinge from sterling sheet is a difficult and time consuming process. You have to make a large tube from flat stock and pull it through a drawplate until its the proper size. Continuous annealing is required after every second or third pull as the sterling work hardens. While drawing it down you have to plan for the hole size for the pin as well. Then the tube is cut into pieces and silver soldered to the two opposite sides. Sounds pretty easy but the tubing edges should be cut perfectly flat and all the pieces should fit together after soldering with no side to side play but without binding. Check out some antique sterling tea pots to see what I mean. A well made hinge with no play at all but is strong and attractive is the mark of a fine silversmith. Just being a hobbiest, it would take me several hours to make a single hinge from sheet. Having said all that, like you I some day want to make some silver hinges for boxes but will probably make wax patterns and try casting them first. Of course silver is pretty soft and if using solid silver, one would want to make pretty thick hinge leafs and barrels and maybe use a non-metal pin. Sterling is harder but with the additional copper added it oxidises and needs to be polished periodically.
Mike:
This is what I heard from a silversmith. So I wanted to find a commercial silversmith who had overcome these problems and had set up some commercial processes to bring down the price...
I got some used fixer (from SWMBO -- the xray tech) and was going to try plating some brass hinges. This is what the next lady is suggesting
Other alternative is Precious Metal Clay - You can find it on the web. You form it and fire it - like ceramics in a nice hot 1100-1800 Deg. F. degree oven. But the other smith -- who had made hinges as a student project -- felt the stresses would be too high.
FYI: http://www.pmcguild.com/resframes.html http://www.metalclay.com/OtherPages/ProductInfo.htm
I have enough hobbies :-))
Mike in Arkansas wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

also, pmc shrinks when fired, anywhere from 6-20% depending upon which flavor you get