Where to find sunchokes?

I am a type 2 diabetic and was told that sunchokes (Jerusalem artichokes) are healthy substitutes for potatoes and easy to grow. I have a large sunny area in the backyard that is unused and am thinking of growing them there. But where do I find them? I don't see them in my local supermarket in Western Washington. And if I find them, do you just bury them in the ground or is their a special technique? Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
tenplay

My neighbor had some growing and she was cutting it down for the year. I got 2 branches of the plant, planted them and they grew to monsters! They put our beautiful sunflower like flowers. To use it, just chop some down, and dig out some of the root, as much as you need - it will regrow. About finding them in grocery stores, that is rare. But look where they keep the parsnips, rutabagas, garlic, etc. and you can plant that root. Right now I have to go out and dig up some thai ginger!

Reply to
glenon

Look here but it is getting late. Still......Next year may be OK.

folks are in Maine.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

I'm also a type II diabetic and planted some twelve years ago. They gave us extreme amounts of gas, stomach upset, and were vigorously invasive in taking over the property. It has taken me the whole twelve years to get rid of them.

The only advantage you get is that the sun choke, aka Jerusalem artichokes, aka Indian sunflowers, are not starchy when eaten fresh. Once you dig them up and store them they then convert to starch and are more like potatoes. they were eaten by Native Americans, of which I'm half blood, but I've seen no historical references as to how tasty they were. They do have a nice, nutty flavor, are excellent in salads, and are good tasting when sliced then and stir fried with other foods. If I were going to plant any today I would do so in a large container to keep them from spreading. I live in USDA Zone 9b.

George

tenplay wrote:

Reply to
George Shirley

Whoops! Try a Google search for sunchokes and you should find a mail order supplier.

George

George Shirley wrote:

Reply to
George Shirley

It sounds like you enjoyed eating them but that they made you ill. Was it more like an allergy or does it affect a lot of people in similar ways? If the after-effects are so unpleasant, I guess I don't want to grow them.

Reply to
tenplay