where to get storm door hinges

I have a friend whose aluminum storm door hinges have worn out. The rest of the door is in good shape and she would rather not replace it, but we're having no luck find the hinges.

These three-inch butt hinges have one leaf narrower than the other. The smaller leaf is only 3/4 inch wide. I would call the manufacturer, but I can find no brand name on the door anywhere. These hinges seem to be used on numerous brands of doors, but I can find them in no hardware catelog.

Anyone ever bought a set? Where'd you get them?

TIA

Peter

Reply to
peter

I've never seen them for sale as replacement hinges in a hardware/building supply store. Strange cos they sell replacement latches for storm doors etc. Our hinges wore out in the same manner and the door sagged. It was a really cheap door, $15 at K.Mart when they had opened a new store here some 35 years ago. That store closed down some 10 to 12 years back.. However I was able to go back the company that had supplied our aluminum framed windows 33 years ago. The son of the company founder 'made' three hinges cutting them off the proper type of Al moulding. The old door is bare aluminum and the new hinges are white but it's hardly noticeable. The replacement hinges cost $35 plus 15% sales tax IIRC; somewhat more than twice the cost of the original door! So a small company that install/fabricates aluminum siding, storm windows sash etc. might be your best bet? Keep the new hinges lubricated and your friend may get another 30+ years out of them!. Terry.

Reply to
Terry