where to find bamboo

hello,

I am looking for bamboo boards to make sushi sets (roughly 12" by 8") peices in 3/4 thikness...

does anyone know where to find something like that? near boise would be even better!

thanks, cyrille

Reply to
cyrille de Brebisson

No idea who might stock it near Boise, but dags for "plyboo"...

--

Reply to
dpb

I saw a new addition of some bamboo boards at the Rockler store in Tinley Park, Illinois. About 3/4" thick and I think about 8' long by

10" wide. Maybe call them and see if they will ship it.

carbonejim

Musta been some whopper of a bamboo tree! Was the center 8" missing?

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Yep, haha. Talk about big bamboo - I read on Wikipedia that some varities could grow an entire meter per day and up to 100 feet tall.

Hate to mow that grass. They said you can almost watch the stuff shoot out of the ground. Now if that isn't a sustainable crop, I don't know what is.

The board actually looks like a particle board, except the "grain" is very straight and fine. I guess it's called "pressed bamboo." So the bamboo fibers are long and straight. The board felt a little bit like plastic to me. After I posted I was wondering how the material would take on a finish. Here is what it looked like:

carbonejim

Pieces of approximately that size have been showing up in supermarkets on the East Coast. They're sold as cutting boards in the cheese section.

J.

cyrille de Brebiss> hello,

Reply to
J.