HF tool smell

Page 2 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

At the bicycle shop, we call that the "Chinese Factory Smell".
It has no equal.
Their rubber and plastic parts are made from recycled junk from here mixed with a bunch of US banned chemicals. Why do you think they want all of our recyclable rubber and plastics? They remelt or alter the formulation and then sell it to us! Remember all the kids toys which were recalled due to numerous problems like lead and other banned chemicals. Now imagine going to their country and having to smell that same smell everywhere. I pity it may make a few of the foreign athletes a little nauseous. They also banned dog meat in restaurants for the Olympians! That is a sight I will never forget when they had dogs in cages waiting to be killed and served to eat. Very disgusting.
Jon

What makes dogs disgusting that is so different from cows, pigs, and Mary's little lamb?
I used to go to the Italian markets on 9th street in Philly. You could pick out your chicken or rabbit and have it killed and dressed. Horsemeat is readily available in many places in Europe.
wrote in message ..

I still go, although we now call it The Asian Market.
--

"Anybody can have more birthdays; but it takes
balls to get old!"

Not surprising. It was starting to change in the early 80's before I moved to CT. The cheese shop, spice shop and bakeries were my favorites.
:> They also banned dog meat in restaurants for the Olympians! That is a :> sight I will never forget when they had dogs in cages waiting to be killed :> and served to eat. Very disgusting. :> :> Jon
: What makes dogs disgusting that is so different from cows, pigs, and Mary's : little lamb?
Dogs have a specialized relationship to humans as companions, which has existed apparently since the beginning of biologically modern humans 100,000 years ago.
    -- Andy Barss
wrote in message ..

That doesn't make them any less edible. Horses do work around the farm/ranch and still end up on the table.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

And in some cultures I suspect they've been on the menu for about as long as they have been domesticated or longer. Certainly it's nothing new in locale mentioned; simply not what the poster is accustomed to.
: That doesn't make them any less edible.
Well, humans are perfectly edible, for that matter. So what?
    -- Andy Barss

They've been eaten too. If it comes down to starving to death or eating what happens to be available, I'm eating.

Reminds me of an old Soldier of Fortune magazine. It had an article on "people harvesting" in case of national emergency. It advocated wino's because not only would they be not missed, the wine consumption over the years would have marinated the meat.
Of course, it was written in fun to rile up the liberal media. They would rant on and on about the terible SOF magazine. And SOF subscriptions sales went up everytime the regular media responded to another over the top article. It was generally believed by most that the liberal reporters never figured out they were being played with.
Andrew Barss wrote:

A Chinese coworker once told me that they think caucasians are strange - when caucasians see an animal, they're thinking something like "Oh, how cute.". When a Chinese sees an animal they're wondering how best to prepare it.

Once there were two canibals hiding in the bushes. A guy walks by. The jump him and kill him. One starts eating at the head, the other the feet. The one at the head says, "how are you doing down there?". The other says, "I'm having a ball". The first canibal says, "You're eating too fast!!!"

Two canibals overpower a clown and cook him up. One says: "Does this taste funny to you?"

WHICH reminds of: Jeffry Dahmer to Loreena Bobbitt: "Are you going to eat that?"
I agree on the dogs, problem in asian cultures is they don't have that specialized relationship we Westerners do.
You and I see a part of the family, asians think in terms of food on the table.
One of the things you notice over there is the lack of dogs on the hoof.
wrote in message ..

Dogs and children are both regulated.

Four legs good. Two legs bad.
Robatoy wrote: ...

"Tastes like chicken..."

In a very real sense, this has to do with food as well. Up until about the Victorian age, people looked at dogs primarily as working animals, and less so as pets. During the Victorian era it became a status symbol to have a non-working dog as a pet. This was a form of conspicuous consumption - showing off the fact that you had enough wealth (and food) to support an animal just for the pleasure its company gave you. During this time there was a great movement towards breeding smaller and smaller dogs as companions, giving us many of the breeds we have in our homes today.
--
sm@ug dot ichorfang
at gmail dot com