HF tool smell

Geez, I happened to be in HF twice in the last couple of weeks and boy I pity those folks. The smell is just so bad. And the tools I bought there (simple measuring tapes) continue to stink up my desk. Any thought as to what is going on? And/or any ideas on how to dissipate the smell?

MJM

Reply to
mjmwallace

I have been harping about that stink in many previous posts. Many of us Wreckers have agreed that Chinese rubber/plastic STINKS!

I know I can buy a tool for cheap, for limited use at Princess Auto (A Canuckistani version of HF) but I absolutely dread walking in there.

I had a rubber-coated flashlight in a metal toolbox. It was in one of my trucks for a week or so and MAN.. I opened the toolbox and bloody-near got floored by the fumes.

To the best of my knowledge, the Chinese rubber stink is as hard to get rid of as is Hillary.

Reply to
Ritalin Escape Corp

Wonder if the fumes are harmful. most likely. Plastic have many poisonous compounds it it. Outgassing just spreads it around??

Reply to
Rick Samuel

I never had the smell. I've never been to a HF store and have no incentive to go either. Thanks for confirming my reasons.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Cat Pee in the glue!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

And all this time I was blaming my cats for using the unswept sawdust instead of the kitty box...... personally I don't really think HF Chinese tools smell much different than anybody else's Chinese tools..... Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

They do. The HF cat pee glue is aged at least 90 days in quarter sawn oak shavings.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Your culprit is outgassing. Remember, the solution to pollution is dilution. Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

Got to get rid of that benzene, lead tainted paint and the rendered bodies of those organ farmed prisoners somehow.

Reply to
Modat22

Ed, you have to go at least once. It's like a car wreck, you just can't stop looking.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Good luck. I've been storing a dolley, with "rubber" tires from HF, in a store room for two years and the stink from the "rubber" is still enough to run you out of the place.

Reply to
Swingman

At the bicycle shop, we call that the "Chinese Factory Smell".

It has no equal.

Reply to
B A R R Y

*Entire* cat in the glue.
Reply to
Father Haskell

Nope. The rest of the cat is in your tuna salad!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Their rubber and plastic parts are made from recycled junk from here mixed with a bunch of US banned chemicals. Why do you think they want all of our recyclable rubber and plastics? They remelt or alter the formulation and then sell it to us! Remember all the kids toys which were recalled due to numerous problems like lead and other banned chemicals. Now imagine going to their country and having to smell that same smell everywhere. I pity it may make a few of the foreign athletes a little nauseous. They also banned dog meat in restaurants for the Olympians! That is a sight I will never forget when they had dogs in cages waiting to be killed and served to eat. Very disgusting.

J>> Geez, I happened to be in HF twice in the last couple of weeks and

Reply to
Jon

What makes dogs disgusting that is so different from cows, pigs, and Mary's little lamb?

I used to go to the Italian markets on 9th street in Philly. You could pick out your chicken or rabbit and have it killed and dressed. Horsemeat is readily available in many places in Europe.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I still go, although we now call it The Asian Market.

Reply to
Mike

:> Jon

: What makes dogs disgusting that is so different from cows, pigs, and Mary's : little lamb?

Dogs have a specialized relationship to humans as companions, which has existed apparently since the beginning of biologically modern humans

100,000 years ago.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Not surprising. It was starting to change in the early 80's before I moved to CT. The cheese shop, spice shop and bakeries were my favorites.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski