HF Multifunction tool

Just a heads up for anyone considering the HF MF tool. They have a coupon in the after-Thanksgiving flyer for the base model for $19.99.

Larry W

I saw that. Isn't that cheaper than their extended warranty? Cheap insurance, even if you already own one. The 4-1/2" angle grinders just went off sale. They were $9.99.

They also have a 3000# winch for $50 which would make my tree stump pulling days a cinch, especially if I built a crab for it.

-- Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You know, I've been eyeing that same winch on and off for a while now. Take a look at the user reviews on the HF web site before you decide to spring for it. They made me hold off at the $69 price, I'm still not sure at $50.

Reply to
Larry W

49 liked it lots or OK, 6 gave it one star or two. One tow-star said "Not good for Jeep." I guess he didn't read "ATV winch" or "3k# rolling load", did he?

I couldn't build a winch box with fairleads for that price, let alone add power & a transmission to it.

I'll let you know how it works for me when I get one, Larry. I may try to pull out that oak stump sometime soon. Cracked portions of my driveway are elevated 2" already. I let a neighbor pay a guy to cut down the 16" dia oak for firewood already. He took the branches and leaves, too. Sucha deal!

I'm not too iffy after reading the feedback. Some of those with bad units sounded like they could screw up a wet dream.

-- Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You have to be careful with all the feedback *at any site* you see these days, right? Much of the time there are a lot of personal prejudices that come into play and folks can't seem to get around them, such as where the item is made, comparisons of the item to their old favorite, even vendor customer service will bring a bad light to a manufacturer.

I personally think sometimes it makes a lot of the petty little people feel big when they put down products.

There there is an experience factor. Should a guy expect good results when painting his crew cab pickup with a detail paint gun? Should an

18 ga. brad gun be able to drive a 2" brad into seasoned white oak? Could you reasonable expect a portable generator you can toss in you tool box to power your shop table saw?

I like one of the tech sites I go to as they rate their own level of experience. If the more knowledgeable members smell B.S., they burn down the poster.

Just thinking out loud, here.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

And valid thoughts they are, Robert, I mean Naily. ;)

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The 'raves' are often suspect too. Like...who posts those? ALL (only) satisfied customers? Really?

Reply to
Robatoy

My feeling on reviews is that the majority of people that were relatively happy with the product don't bother to reply.. Folks that are unhappy would tend to post, IMO..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

A problem with the raves is that they tend to be by people who just recieved the package and opened it and were all excited. They don't tell you if three months or three years down the road it grows fangs and eats Detroit.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That is an ** excellent ** point. The first blush of love when you receive a new tool is often greatly diminished over a period of using it.

I am thinking here of my DeWalt brand roto tool that has been used exactly twice in almost 10 years. I sure did like it when I unwrapped it under the Christmas tree, though. After watching the commercials for these things, I thought I was going to be able to build a Jeffersonian mansion with it.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

They're pretty easy to filter. I generally read the negative reviews to see what the problems are (will I have that problem and can I live with it) and how the company (either the seller or manufacturer) dealt with the issues. Whether a product receives a '4' or '5' is pretty much irrelevant.

You say it like there that's a negative.

Reply to
krw

They just sent me an e-mail with a 25% OFF ANY SINGLE ITEM COUPON GOOD THANKSGIVING DAY ONLY.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Triton SJA200 Superjaws Workbench $179.00 $99.99 You Save $79.01(44%)

amazon dot com now!

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

They just sent me an e-mail with a 25% OFF ANY SINGLE ITEM COUPON GOOD THANKSGIVING DAY ONLY.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Got one in front of me from my last trip to the store. Not good for discounted items. The single speed MF is discounted. Don't know about the variable speed. Rockler does that to me a Lot, Nice coupon but anything that might interest me is exclude because it plugs in or is on sale the day the coupon is good. Come to think of it a Bunch of places do that ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Do it! I have 2. I think those are the greatest things! One of mine is a Triton the other a Ridgid. they are in fact identical.

Reply to
Robatoy

That looks pretty neat. Does the clamping mechanism allow use as a press?

Reply to
Larry W