Granite countertops. Radioactive?

Page 1 of 3
Interesting:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/garden/24granite.html?no_interstitial=&pagewanted=all
"Robatoy" showed us this link,,,

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/garden/24granite.html?no_interstitial=&pagewanted=all Maybe you could offer a "free countertop radiation evaluation" service.
Make some ad showing you holding a geiger counter wearing some kinda geeky uniform.
"Robatoy" complained about a low ball competitor in his hood.
Reminds me of a time in my life when I did a lot of business with auto dealership owners.
I always approached them the same way.
"Sir, are classic rolls are reversed."
"This time you are buying and I am selling."
"When conducting business dealings, I always remember that you can not fuck an honest man."
"How do you want to do business?"
Everyone of them understood.
Some of the best customers I ever had.
Lew

Show the article to enough people and they might end up paying you to remove their $5000 granite counter tops and replace them with something else. Sounds like a money making proposition to me.

Funny you should say that. I have a clown near here, who sells absolute crap granite counters and quotes prices less than my solid surface. No warranty, very shabby installation and a lot of unhappy customers. This will just give me another tool to stave off the influx of garbage. People tend to think that granite is granite...not so. Not even close.
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:10:35 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

You should consider your self fortunate.
I have Lou Irion as a competitor.
What's my marketing plan?
Regards, Tom.
Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 / tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
Tom,

More Detail....
David.
Upscale wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/garden/24granite.html?no_interstitial=&pagewanted=all
My advice to those people who think that they will get cancer from their granite counter tops is to stay as far away from other people as they can. Elements in the human body are also radioactive. In fact one of the key elements needed to keep the human or any animal hear pumping is radioactive.
I think too many people just take it for granite. besides it more than likely only causes cancer in california. ross
On Jul 24, 8:29pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Ross Hebeisen) wrote:

ouch

That's probably potassium. IIRC the largest internal contributor to a typical person's radiation dosage, is from K-40 in the body. Carbon, (C-14 and C-13) comes in second.
Of course you would get along fine with only Phosphorus - 31 and C-12, isotopes are chemically identical.
Uranium is an alpha-emitter, and alphas don't get very far, not even in air, and usually will not penetrate through clothing or even the layer of naturally dead and dying skin sells on the surface of one's skin. Radon is also an alpha emitter, but because it is a gas it can be inhaled end emit the gamma inside of the lungs where live tissue is exposed.
Because it is naturally present in granite, the granite will also have all of the Uranium decay daughters and some of those are gamma and beta emitters. Granites also contains potassium-40.
That said, the figures in the articles showed that _some_ granites are a lot hotter than others and probably should be avoided.
--
FF

The US Capitol is made of granite. I'm told the radiation levels in the rotunda are higher than any released at Three Mile Island. Hmm. That explains a lot about Congress.
--- Doug

Yep. Put on a Tyvek suit and a PAPR and charge $350 for the 15 minute Hazardous Material Removal Consultation.

Or they can get a $400 discount on some new quartz or Corian counter tops.

Discount? With the radioactivity frying your waist level equipment every time you use the sink or get a dish? No way! There's not even time to get a second estimate.
"I'd recommend that it be removed ASAP. I could get the guys in here tonight. Ted's got his daughter's wedding this weekend, but this is more important and I know he'll come. You'll have to stay in a motel for a week while we cordon off the property and erect the containment fencing."

Since granite is mostly quartz wouldn't synthetic material made with quartz have most of the same problems?

to bring our Geiger counter and measure. It could "see" my daughter from 50 yards away (and inside her house) when she was treated with radioactive iodine for her Graves' disease. ANd the treatment did indeed cure that.
--
Best regards
Han

Siltstone is mostly quartz and clay. There are many different clays, some pure clays include elements with naturally occurring radioisotopes such as calcium and potassium or heavier metals. But probably most of the activity in a given siltstone will again be due to trace minerals that are not part of the matrix per se.
--
Ff

No, because it is the trace minerals in the granite, like Uranium and its decay daughters, or potassium-40 that contribute most of the activity.
Pure quartz would have none of those. Pure quartz is silicon dioxide, the natural isotopes of both of those elements are all stable.
--
FF

I LIKE IT!
mac