Granite countertops. Radioactive?

Robatoy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j22g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Ok, that's more like Boston then, or vice versa. I have been in Toronto only once, and that was many, many years ago.

Reply to
Han

Of course. Gamma too. Some much more than others

's the dose that makes a poison.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

wonder how much radioactivity one would find on a stole though the cemetery ross

Reply to
Ross Hebeisen

Depends upon the time of day. About noon the solar radiation is at its max. At midnight look out for the ghosts.

Reply to
David G. Nagel

maybe thats why they glow in the dark ross

Reply to
Ross Hebeisen

Since granite is mostly quartz wouldn't synthetic material made with quartz have most of the same problems?

Reply to
EXT

"EXT" wrote in news:488c797f$0$11753$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com:

That would be logical. If indeed Silestone is made with quartz, I'd have to bring our Geiger counter and measure. It could "see" my daughter from

50 yards away (and inside her house) when she was treated with radioactive iodine for her Graves' disease. ANd the treatment did indeed cure that.
Reply to
Han

No, because it is the trace minerals in the granite, like Uranium and its decay daughters, or potassium-40 that contribute most of the activity.

Pure quartz would have none of those. Pure quartz is silicon dioxide, the natural isotopes of both of those elements are all stable.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

innews:488c797f$0$11753$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com:

Siltstone is mostly quartz and clay. There are many different clays, some pure clays include elements with naturally occurring radioisotopes such as calcium and potassium or heavier metals. But probably most of the activity in a given siltstone will again be due to trace minerals that are not part of the matrix per se.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

I just got one of these saws with the granite top. Given that the top is quarried in China and China's recent reputation for product safety, I am somewhat concerned my boys are gonna fry....

Could take care of that middle-aged prostate without having to get probed though ;-)

D'ohBoy

Reply to
D'ohBoy

"D'ohBoy" wrote in news:906b25c0-aedd-4ce1-9552- snipped-for-privacy@i76g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

You're planning on a prostatectomy with your saw??!!!

Reply to
Han

The US Capitol is made of granite. I'm told the radiation levels in the rotunda are higher than any released at Three Mile Island. Hmm. That explains a lot about Congress.

--- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Sorry you must have got your gases mixed up. The one we were talking about I have used at 1.6 bar (resting not active) for 16 mins and at lower pressures for quite a bit longer.

Reply to
Jerome Meekings

Jerome;

What Fred was talking about is that O2 at one atmosphere and 100% concentration is toxic. This is why the maximum depth for scuba divers using standard air mix is 300 feet. The partial pressure of atmospheric oxygen is 14.7 pounds per square inch at that depth. This is the equivalent of 100% concentration at sea level.

The whole thread on this subject is really a joke, or would be if some stupid city councilmen in California hadn't almost passed an ordinance baning Dihydrogen Monooxide as a hazardous substance. They were stopped in time.

The above is according to a newspaper article a couple of years ago.

Dave Nagel

Reply to
David G. Nagel

If it is the one we are talking about you did not use it as a _gas_ at 1.6 bar.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

No, what I was talking about was that water vapor at a partial pressure of one bar has a minimum temperature of 100 degrees Celsius.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Good Heavens!!

That's Hydrogen Hydroxide, nature's universal solvent. =20

(BEG)

P D Q

Reply to
PDQ