Granite Countertop /\/\/\/ crack /\/\/\/\/\/ ???

We just had granite countertops installed a few months ago and really like the look, feel and personality of real stone countertops. The other day I was rinsing a few things in the sink and on the edge of the sink I felt a slightly rough spot, on the inside of the sink edge towards the bottom of the granite. I looked close and saw a slight crack/chip in the granite, barely noticeable, even to the touch. But as I put a bright light on it I could see a slight fracture line running from the rough spot, up to the top edge of the countertop and extending a few inches towards the front of the countertop. This is barely perceivable except under very close examination so it's probably been there since it was installed. We handle the counter with kit gloves and think this is a fracture that occurred when the sink cutout was cut.

Have been in touch with the company we bought it from and who installed it, and they have been helpful but they are having a tough getting the actual countertop folks to get back with us. So we figured we'd pop out here and see what the general group opinion is. We can see slight imperfections in the stone as it is natural, and that's all this may be. But we don't want it to be a fracture that would spread and grow like a windshield crack, until part of the countertop failed as this is where the sink mounts and not too far from the "splice" in the long counter length. Do not know if they have some epoxy filler that could be used to strengthen this and fill ir, or it it's even necessary.

All opinions welcomed as we paid a pretty penny (or two) for this and don't want to have it fail before it's time.

Thanks!!!

Reply to
infiniteMPG

Get some epoxy and force it in the crack, thats all they will do.

Reply to
ransley

Funny.

Another useless piece of info:

od

Reply to
olddog

Why do you believe the information is useless?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Actually, I'm using this to keep my wife from buying granite. I'm happy with my Formica counters.

Could there really be enough granite in a counter to produce enough radon to be dangerous?

I don't like them because they stain. Also, every house in town has them.

od

Reply to
olddog

Actually we had a news crew out front last night and we weren't sure why. After the neighbor's all gathered around we finally broke down and went outside to investigate ourselves. Turned out they said there was some odd seismic activity in the area and they were checking into it. We were nervous about going back into the house but decided it was safer then standing out in the street seeing as now the news helicopters were zooming overhead.

As we went back inside we could feel a rumbling in the pit of our bellies and it wasn't the double-dip mega-volcano tacos we has recently consumed.... it was coming from the foundation of the house, Running thru the kitchen to gather our valuables we were temporarily blinded by a flash of light near the sink! As our vision cleared we saw the fracture in the countertop growing and the light was flickering on and off from the crack, and a yellow smoke was rising. We grabbed the dog, the last of the Newcastles from the fridge and bolted out the door just as a crack of lightning flashed in the skies. It must of hit a helicopter which had been floating in the air much in the way that bricks don't. We jumped in the Jeep and zoomed off thru the crowd just as our home and the entire neighborhood disappeared in the massive glwoing sinkhole.

As we drove off we thought maybe it wasn't best to try to do the epoxy fill ourselves, maybe we should let the installers do it. Yeah, next time around we'll do that as they probably know what they're doing and if they mess up it's on their nickel. Sounds like that's the way to go.... and the pants are fine, everything in it's place :O)

Reply to
infiniteMPG

Yes, especially if you think about it harder.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

So "thinking" produces radon?

You must be radioactive.

od

Reply to
olddog

Case closed. You're an idiot.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Case closed....TROLL.

Have a nice day! :-)

Reply to
olddog

Think harder about how a countertop is used.

Clue: Human anatomy

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

infiniteMPG wrote in news:17cea91e-8ccf-43d5-9106- snipped-for-privacy@y9g2000yqg.googlegroups.com:

That is who your issue is with. They are the ones you hired/contracted. They sub-k'd it to the installers. They hired the installers. The installers worked for who sold you the countertop package, not you.

That is their problem and has nothing to do with you. If they hired piss poor installers then they have to deal with it even if it means they have to hire some other installer to correct the problem.

Reply to
Red Green

Dangerous quantities of radioactive materials don't occupy a lot of space. Consider that the radioactive materials in a single nuclear bomb are about the size of a grapefruit.

Reply to
George

You mean enriched uranium.

That's a pretty big difference. ;-)

od

Reply to
olddog

How are countertops used?

Clue: Human anatomy.

We can do this all day. The longer you take to answer the question, the dumber you look. By the end of the day, the stapler on my desk will be Einstein compared with you.

How are countertops used?

Clue: Human anatomy.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"they stain" not mine and its unsealed. Ive left coffee grounds on it for months under the coffee machine. Now if you said very light colors can be stained.

Reply to
ransley

"they stain" not mine and its unsealed. Ive left coffee grounds on it for months under the coffee machine. Now if you said very light colors can be stained.

-----------------------------------

Yeah....granite comes in lots of colors and texture. Some of the darker and more dense granite are less susceptible to staining. I have granite in my master shower and it's holding up pretty well but I have a sink in the guest bathroom that darkens from the soap. Some of the textures can hide the stains well too.

Over all it's pretty and I'm not too concerned about the radon. It's mostly the price. I think there are better cheaper materials. I've pretty much talked my wife out of granite. Now she's talking about a vacation in Italy. :-(

od

Reply to
olddog

In the SF Bay area, granite is by far the cheapest counter top material. It comes in in mass quantities from China, and there are now hundreds of stores selling and installing very inexpensive Chinese granite (often the exact same granite being sold by Home Depot or high-end kitchen and bath remodeling stores for 2x or more the price).

I used granite because it was the cheapest material available, much less than any of the synthetics.

The building supply industry and builders promote granite because it's cheap, just like they promote vinyl windows.

Reply to
SMS

Thanks....I'll check it out again. Last I looked most of the engineered stone and solid surfaces were cheaper here and I liked the look of those better.

FWIW: I'm not going through HD. I need mine "professionally" installed. ;-)

od

Reply to
olddog

Here's my granite countertop tips:

  • Do shop around on prices. I ended up paying half the Home Depot price and HD was reasonable compared to some places.
  • Check the prices on demolition and haulaway of your old countertop and/or consider doing it yourself. I was quoted prices of between 0 and 00.
  • Select a stone that is darker and non-porus is you're concerned about staining. Apply a good sealant from time to time.
  • Select individual slabs that are free from cracks and fissures.
  • When it comes to replumbing the sink, do it yourself, and save another chunk of change. Use new drain pipe -- don't bother trying to re-use the old. Unless your existing garbage disposal unit is very new, just replace it.
  • Take the opportunity to carry out any minor repairs or retouching on the lower cabinets after the old countertop has been removed and before the new is installed. It's a LOT easier!
Reply to
Malcolm Hoar