Repair rough spot ("chip") in granite countertop

We have a variegated red/orange/gray/black granite countertop. While cleaning it, I notice a couple of small (dime size) very shallow depressions with a rough surface. I'm not sure if it is due to a "chip" or if it is a natural defect -- either way it disturbs the smooth polished surface.

Neither my wife or I are aware of how it happened but it probably was damaged by the previous homeowner or came that way.

I know that you can pay an installer big $$$$ to fix it, but I am looking for a DIY approach. In fact, the chips are not bad enough to be worth the multiple hundreds of dollars that I believe a pro will charge to come to my house.

Some people have recommended an "acrylic" patch kit that is UV cured and then polished. One example is "ProCaliber Products Granite & Marble Acrylic Pro Repair Kit - Clear LCA Paste" -- (See

It seems like the "pros" use epoxy and granite dust but I haven't found a kit online.

- Any experiences or recommendations in DIY repair of such chips and defects in granite countertops?

- Are there any DIY kits or methods that truly give professional-like results that make the patch (almost) invisible?

Thanks

Reply to
blueman

Cover the spots with duct tape. Then you wont see em'.

Reply to
redneck

If real granite, I'm told, there is nothing you can do. But, I suspect your's is acrylic containing granite chips and acrylic repair should work but color match may be difficult.

Reply to
Frank