Chip in Granite - Any suggestions to fill or just leave alone?

Hello - We got about a quarter inch round chip in our Uba Tuba Granite when a glass salt shaker fell from the top cabinet. Does anyone have any suggestions or home remedies that the do it yourselfer could try to fill the chip. I noticed there may be some professional granite fill products, but they seem complicated. I'm not too worried about an exact color match, just looking for something to fill the hole as it is unfortunately in a very noticeable section of the counter. I was thinking like clear silicon, but then thought that may not stick to it or be good for a food prep area. What is generally done about chips of this size, or is the answer simply leave it alone and live with it.

Also, any recommendation on what brand or type of sealer to use on Uba Tuba granite would be appreciated.

Kind regards to all that help or share their view.

Reply to
fishcakes

What I would do is take the time to fix it properly. It will mostly take time and patience. Clear silicone will definitely not work. In my opinion it would be best to leave it alone until you have the time and inclination to do a good job or to hire someone to fill the hole. A poorly filled chip hole will look much worse than the hole itself. Also remember that whatever product you use to fill it with, it will never be as durable as the granite.

I would think that any decent brand of stone sealer will work on your granite. Try to avoid getting the sealer in the hole if you plan on filling it some day.

Reply to
Mike Hammer

I have a Uba Tuba granite countertop, but it is 12" tiled, not solid (DIY project). There are repair kits for granite, most of which use two part epoxy. Just Google granite countertop repair for many brands. For sealing and cleaning, I have used a number of products. Sealer's Choice 15 Gold, a water based sealer made by Aqua Mix. Nex-Gen Stone sealer, which is also water based and made by Black Diamond Stoneworks. Weiman Granite Wipes for cleaning. Can be used over sealer. The big box stores carry these products. You can also visit a tile store and ask what would be best for what you want to do. Be advised that they will tell you whatever stuff they happen to carry. They can direct you to a repairman for a professional job.

Reply to
willshak

Granit dust (same color as the chipped area) mixed with *epoxy* (not polyester resin). You can get granit dust from a granit processor who cuts and polishes the granit. They may have kits as well...

Reply to
PeterD

That's a fixed part of the house. Many home owners insurance will pay for it to be professionally done.

Reply to
Glenn

Less a $500 to $1000 deductable... Home owner's insurance is not intended to fix a chip in the countertop!

Reply to
PeterD

Not only that. Insurance companies are looking for any excuse to either raise premiums sky high or drop customers altogether. Short of a major disaster, you don't want to even talk to your insurance company.

As far as the counter, why not call the original installer to repair it? Anything to do with granite is not a DIY project.

Reply to
John Reddy

Did you find the missig bit? Glue it back with a slow setting epoxy. Leave the glue slightly proud of the surface until it sets and trim with razor blade. When fully set (several days) polish with metal polish.

Reply to
CWatters

I definately suggest contacting either the granite fabricator that installed your granite or another local granite company to do the repair. We have had people contact us after they have tried to repair chips themselves and either the granite was unrepairable or we had to charge a whole lot more than we would have if they had contacted us originally.

As far as sealing goes, Uba Tuba is fairly dense. Make sure it needs to be sealed before you purchase a sealer. This is very simple. Just drop some droplets of water around the countertop (especially around high traffic areas like the sink). Wait about five minutes. If the water is still beaded up on top of the countertop, you do not need to reseal it. If the water soaks in, we suggest using Aqua Mix-Sealer's Choice Gold Premium Sealer for Stone, Tile and Grout. If you can't find Aqua Mix, make sure the sealer you find is a water based, penetrating sealer.

Sealing your granite is very simple. Make sure to follow the directions on the package, but it is pretty much a wipe on, wait a few minutes, wipe off excess process. Then wait 24 hours before you get the granite wet again. Use a clean white cloth to buff off any streaks.

Hope this helps. LP

carrollstileandstone