Granite countertop sealer

My wife and I are really pleased with a granite countertop that we purchased at Home Depot, and have always been aware of the relatively higher maintenance granite requires. We're at the 1 year point and so far so good: no chips, stains, or disaster stories!

I bought a water-based sealer from Aqua-Mix. After applying the stuff to a "test area", the color of the granite remained preserved, but the glossy "sheen" was gone. A couple of newbie questions:

-- Did the sealer permanently get rid of the glossy surface?

-- Will a polish restore it?

I'm trying to maintain granite the "right way", but I'm most interested in preserving its shine. Thanks for everyone's time

-B

Reply to
skibum

Tile, porous stone, and grout sealers are usually acrylic or some other water based product that dries. Granite a relatively impermeable rock, does best with penetrating solvent based silicone sealers, that don't dry appreciably, and must be rubbed practically dry after application. Make sure the sealer you got is specifically for granite, and not a general masonry or stone sealer. If you used the wrong sealer, it could have dried and left a film.

Reply to
Roger Taylor
511 Impregnator is the one that all the people I spoke to suggested and I used it on my tile floor and Granite countertops. I have been very happy with the results. You just need to follow the directions and I believe you will be happy with the results

Wayne

Reply to
wayne