filling/sealing Granite countertops

The Akemi is the stuff. Fill before sealing, of course.

Reply to
G Henslee

Application info:

G Henslee

Please accept my appology in advance if this has been cover recently. I looked throught the archives and didn't really find the answer I was looking for, so I'll ask the question and prepared to be yelled at if it's a repeat.

I was recently fortunate enough to get, from the scrap pile of a local granite counter manufacturer, enough granite to do all the counters in my kitchen. I have learned how to shape, finish and polish the edges to my satisfaction and I am even able to remove scratches from the top and get almost back to the shine of the surrounding material, I think I can match it with a little more polishing.

My question is what if anything would normally be used to fill the small pits and natural surface defects in a granite counter to make it easier to maintain. I saw a thread about Akemi filler and/or Aqua-Mix Renew but I am looking for a bit more information before I jump on one direction or the other. I have some stone enhancer sealer the the local tile store recommends to seal the top, but if I need to worry about the small pits in the surface I probably should fill before I seal it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
os2guy_in_kc

Any polyester or epoxy resin. You may have to sand it flush but since you've figured out how to polish your granite it will be duck soup. :)

Can't say for sure because I've used neither in a long while but I suspect the polyester may wind up harder and therefore easier to sand/polish.

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Thanks for the input. I was wondering if maybe some marine epoxy might do the trick. I think some of that stuff started as concrete sealer. It looks like I have a couple of phone calls to make on Monday to get some stuff ordered and then it will be one more thing off the list. And to think that I was going to do formica or something. Thanks again.

Reply to
os2guy_in_kc

you don't. it's a natural material. anything you put on is going to be a headache. you won't be able to sand it down without marring the granite polished surface, and repolishing that will be a pain and expensive to boot.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer