Jointer table extension??

OK so here is the question

I have a 6" jointer with 1.2m long tables...all works well and I have regularly jointed boards up to 2.4m. The machine does what it is supposed to.

I have an option on an old EMCO 8" jointer/thicnesser combo that a friend has gathering dust, and the planer is something I would regualry make use of. So I am not sure I want both machines in my small workshop. So I am keen to sell the 6"

The downside of the old EMCO 8"machine is that the tables on the jointer are quite short (total table length around 85cm), making it harder to joint long boards. What is the feasability of extending the outfeed table?

I have access to a large machine shop so I could conceivably weld something up out of 6mm steel and then have it surface ground and then bolt it onto the current table...

What do you folk think?

Brent

Reply to
wombatwise

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ...

A whole lot of work for the end result imo. Unless you need the 8" jointer, I'd suggest pass on an 8" thickness planer and go w/ one of the small 12-13" portables and keep the current jointer for its purpose.

--

Reply to
dpb

I have not heard of an EMCO. Are you sure that isn't an Enco?

If so, I would pass on it. The Enco woodworking machines I have seen were not that high quality. They had some OK metalworking equipment. It was all Chiwanese knockoffs.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

It is an older version of the "emco rex b20". The issue is the thing is so cheap ($140) I would keep it one way or the other. Just be nice to not have to take up more space in the shop. A new portable unit would set me back at least triple that...

Brent

Reply to
wombatwise

"Lee Michaels" wrote

Emco, IIRC, is European ... looks like Brent may be posting from South Africa?

Reply to
Swingman

The Emco is an Austrian brand as far as I know - although it may be eastern manufactured and yip I am waaaaay down south in Cape Town!

Reply to
wombatwise