Granite Countertops

  • posted

New house has granite countertops.

The products that clean them streak like mad and the products that don't streak don't clean either.

Any recommendations for granite cleaning products?

John

Reply to
John‰]

Good granite. Mine is two years old. I wiped some kind of sealer on there twice in two years. It always looks nice.

What are you doing on them that needs so much cleaning? You know, they are streaky in appearance, and don't really show things very much.

Unless you get down at just the right angle with the light and look for things .............. Maybe you are scouring the surface trying so hard to get them "clean".

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

In a new house, it is reasonnable to ask the builder.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Have you ever sealed them? Did the installers seal them? What are you using? If you seal them to often they will dull. When water no longer beads up on the counter it is time to seal them. I just wipe mine with a soapy dish water and wipe dry.Once in a while we use Clean EnCounter made by Stone care International SCI Black spray bottle with gold letters.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

I heard on the local talk radio home repair program that granite counter tops stain. They said raw egg and especially tomato sauce would screw up an unsealed top, and you could not remove the stains. Is this true?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Make sure they are sealed. Vegetable oil works well

Reply to
Newfie

I asked that when mine were installed. they said red wine can stain light colored granite if not wiped up. They said it could be chemically cleaned but it's a pain. Ours have been in about year with my two kids and me no stains and more than once red sauce has be on it. If you look at granite some seem more pours so it might depend on the granite. The stuff is pretty indestructible and you can't beat the look. I don't think I would put vegetable oil on it to seal it, sealer is pretty cheap and having to seal it every 6 months to a year is no big deal. Ours is still on the first sealing.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Granite is a natural material product and has a lot of variations in the composition of the stone. They are comprised of various mixes of minerals and some are more prone to staining than others. The best solution is to have your installer seal the stone and then repeat the sealing process as it is necessary.

The link below will give you a few basic tips.

Ajax

go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some of the micro fiber rags. Spray some windex on the surface or rag and clean anything. God I love those rags. I use them all over for every cleaning/dusting problem.

Reply to
Bakpain

ammonia based products can affect the sealing put on granite slab or tile countertops.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

My installer recommended vinegar based Windex mixed 50/50 with water for cleaning the granite. Don't let it sit, though. Wipe it up immediately. He said never to use an ammonia based cleaner such as regular Windex. And be sure to seal it at least once a year.

Reply to
Mike Hartigan