Granite Replacement Kitchen Countertops - Install Problem???

Last week I had my Formica kitchen countertops replaced by Granite by a subcontractor of Home Depot Expo. Although the new countertops look great, I am concerned about the installation. Specially my concern is with the granite bar that is in back of the sink and leads to the great room. The bar was previously 15 1/2 inches wide by 90 inches in length. The 15

1/2 width sat on one side of a wall that was 4 3/4 inch wide. When the measuring person came to my home, I asked him if I could extend the width to 17 1/2 inches, and he said that would be no problem.

After the installer took off the old counter and replaced it with the granite one, he indicated to me that I would need more support due to all the additional weight of the granite counter bar. He temporarily put 2 wooden sticks on each side of the bar and advised me to get and install 3 corbels or shelf brackets under the width. Home Depot or Lowes do not carry "heavy" corbels or shelf brackets. I noticed Home Depot has a shelf bracket that can carry 50 lbs of weight.

Should the granite installer be responsible to the "complete installation", including the safe supporting of the granite bar? They tell me it is my responsibility to add this additional support. What type of a craftsman should be used to make the installation safe?

Any comments / suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply to
Les

installation",

You made a change in mid stream. Your going to have to pick up the pieces.

Reply to
SQLit

Hi Les,

I wouldn't put the blame on the installer at all. I think the guy that measured your countertops should have said something and told you there would be extra costs associated with the modification. Your installer should be commended for having enough pride in his work to mention you needed added support. These supports mentioned aren't too much money anyways. If your looking for a "heavy" set of brackets, go to your local welding shop and have some made up. Probably won't cost you more than about

20 bucks (I own a welding business). Hope that was of some help....Jim

Reply to
Jim M

Complain to HD and expo. The measurer, or whoever at HD was incharge of your install should have been made aware of extra support needed. You paid extra for those Extra inches , right. So it should have been a complete job. HD should fix it free.

Reply to
m Ransley

The person who did the measuring worked for the same company as the installers. Actually one of the 2 installers was one of 2 measurers who all work for the same granite company subcontracted by home depot.

Just saw the manager of home depot who I ordered the countertops from, and he said he will call the granite company tomorrow and get the issue revolved to my satisfaction

Reply to
Les