Granite countertops

I was looking online at granite countertops. They say installation is very simple, requiring only a few tools. I can handle this...so far.... The corners must be mitered and is cut with a standard skill saw with a diamond tipped blade. Again they say this is simple. Now for the truth. Is it as simple as they say (besides the fact that installing them is a nut buster)? I feel using a skill saw will not cut very accurately and cause gaps in the seam. Would a wet saw at a rental store handle cutting granite?

Thanks

Reply to
Joe

Weight is a real problem. If you go to a granite shop I don't thin you will find them working with a skill saw. Some things are bes left to folks that do it every day

Reply to
Tom O'Connor

Everything is easy when you have the proper tools. A skill saw might be OK for some cuts but without a jig to guide you, a freehand cut will look like crap. It depends on how close your stock counter is to what you need. Is there enough material to make a practice cut, you can at least try it out. You'll never be able to bullnose it by yourself.

Reply to
PipeDown

NOPE!!!!

Just let a pro do it. If you screw it up it will cost you 3 times as much

Rich

Reply to
evodawg

Just to let you know where I'm coming from. I do kitchens for an living and I always sub out the granite. I will custom build cabinets and do all the tile, electrical, plumbing, and all the other stuff myself, but I will not do the granite.

Rich

Reply to
evodawg

When I had my kitchen done I went to the shop and laid out the templates on the granite. I like tools and looked around, 30" diamond water feed saw with rollers in the tables. Then the had some kind of large water feed diamond router with roller tables. I ask how he cut the sink out hand held grinder with diamond wheels. On sight they did some cutting cook top some pre cut pieces to length. All the on sight cuts were not visible. Now he did tell me there are guys that cut it in there garage with circular saws and diamond blades he said they pretty much give the trade a bad name. Why don't you try cutting two 24" pieces of ply with a saw and a straight edges see how that looks. After that experiment I don't think you would like to try and cut a rock.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Thanks for the feedback. I thought they were feeding me a line of crap. I think I will try to find a local contractor and see if they would be willing to install the counter tops for me. The company said it should cost about $500 to have a pro install the tops. Well worth the cost. Although they did say many contractors are not too happy to install the tops if they are not purchased from them.

Reply to
Joe

If you insist on assisting with all these installations, you may pick up enough tricks to some yourself. Unless you invest in a few specialized tools, you probably can't go from rough slab to finished countertop but I have seen a few kitchen stores that sell precut counter slabs, you only need to trim to length and add holes. Is that $500 just for the installation labor and cutting or does that include any materials (in which case it would be a really good deal).

They are not happy because if there is a problem, it was caused by someone else but they have to deal with it.

Reply to
PipeDown

a sink ? a cook top? What about tear out of old counter top is that in included ? What about the 1/2" plywood tops for granite to sit on? You better get some quotes from installers not sales people.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave