Google

Page 2 of 3

If no binaries, you can get 5 gigs for $3 at usenet-news.net. I've had it for 18 mos (I don't do binaries) and frequent a dozen groups. I've yet to use even a 1/3 gig.
http://www.newsgroupreviews.com/usenet-news.html
nb
notbob wrote:

Ya butt E-S is FREE. Paying $3 for something that is free is goofy. Would be like you sending me $3 for the air you breath... The only reason to pay for air which is free, is if it were somehow better. You are paying $3 for something worse, a 5 gig limit. OK, you will never use 5 gigs of text, but E-S is NOT limited, and it is FREE.
Personally, I liked getting binaries free from comcast (giganews) and enjoyed them. Not sure I want to pay for them now, even $3/month, primarily because I suspect few people post in binary groups now because they have to actually pay to participate. ABPW was not that active when it was all free, so I can't imagine it would get busier. I used to like Alt binaries picture original a lot, which had/has a lot of great photographers and really nice people, and I suspect it is still really active because those folks were pretty serious. It was so active when everything was free, I couldn't keep up with it, so it may even be better now. Still, I haven't decided to go through the aggravation of a pay service. It's not just the $3/month for giganews, but getting the money to them is an aggravation in itself.
--
Jack

Don't have a freakin' cow, dude! It was only a suggestion, not personal attack on your worth as a human being. sheesh....
Besides, I'n not real happy with their TOU policy. To wit:
"Sender Address The e-mail addresses given in "From:", "Reply-To:", and "Sender:" SHOULD be yours (i.e. you should be entitled to use it) and SHOULD be valid (= should not bounce because of invalidity)"......
I'm not real sure how strict they are on that "SHOULD", but I don't like the implication. No matter. You seem to be happy with yours and I'm happy with mine. What could be better. Relax and have a nice day. ;)
nb

Just set up a throw-away Gmail account.
A) It is mine. B) I am entitled to use it. C) It is valid. - Will not bounce. D) I have not once checked to see if there is any email there. E) Giving a real, unadulterated, email account on a Usenet post is more than dumb.
On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 10:00:13 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

I have been using my real, valid and non-throwaway e-mail on Usenet since about 1985. I have *never* received any appreciable amount of spam as a result of my Usenet posts (some minor flaming in the past, but that's OK). I did, however, make the mistake of putting a valid e-mail on my web page so people could contact me. Within days I was receiving dozens of message each day and now it is several hundred a day - virtually all traceable to that posting on the web.
Usenet is pretty much not a problem to use your real e-mail. The web, on the other hand....
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Two Down - Two to Go!

Ewven the web, not so much these days. Most of the address collection is coming from infected Windows computers. I also see a fair bit aimed at random names at balderstone.ca, my own domain, but they're easy-peasy to filter.

This week, I received 9 spams addressed to email addresses I ONLY used on USENET. 4 were send to emails I used in 2004, and 4 from addresses I used in 2007.
One was harvested from google, because I can see the "...@" in the address.
It was worse when google was not munging email addresses.

I was getting on the order of 500 spam emails a day. Since I munged my address slightly, it's gone way down (20-50) and many are trivial to filter (anything with a funky character in the subject, for example).

But every spam message I report helps make Yahoo!'s filtering better! They tell me so every time I select the one or two a day I've been getting.
Puckdropper
On Jul 10, 12:16am, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Ah, yes. Yahoo Groups. I joined a Yahoo group about three years ago. There was so much email, I tried to drop out, only to discover--gasp!-- I hadn't joined. Say what? I didn't belong, anyway. That was the upshot.
My solution, since I'd used one of my Yahoo email addresses, was to mark all email from that group as spam. After a couple of years, I'm now down to maybe a dozen or so emails a week, for which I get the "improving spam filtering" message.

Long time users of Yahoo! Groups expect things like this. They happen often enough to be expected, but not often enough to be a real hassle. Sometimes a problem will crop up and there's nothing you can do but say Yah-Phooey!
I do feel your pain with Wildblue. AT&T (incompentant idiots) won't let us have DSL, but my sister's house next door does. However, one part of AT&T believes we can get DSL so they won't let us use a dial-up account for internet access. We've got Wildblue now, where at least downloads don't take forever.
Ever had a day or night just too nice to get a signal? It happens every so often here.
Puckdropper

They probably have a monitoring system in place that detects lengthy calls, and then either look up the phone number or listen in on the call. It was a marketing thing... an evil marketing thing (that FAILED! ha ha ha ha).
Puckdropper
On 12 Jul 2009 19:28:08 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

We have Hughesnet.. pretty good except for their damn "Fair access policy"..
We were out of luck for most of last night due to what we're guessing was weather problems at their end, but that rarely happens..
It works very well, usually..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Been there, done that. There were simply some things I could not download, e.g. any Linux distribution or even some large application programs.

On Jul 12, 3:28pm, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Too friggin' often. Gorgeous day, light breeze, I need to upload or download something for work, but, instead, I'm outside in the lounge chair reading a new book. Life's a bitch, at times. Or I take the camera and go blow off steam shooting photos from the Blue Ridge Parkway.
As far as speed goes, I recall my WV cable, and check a friend's cable from time to time. WB is about 15-20% as fast as either one.
I'd love DSL, but... When we moved back from my abortive attempt at working for a company, in WV, my wife came back to make sure this house was set up. She had the phone lines re-connected, and asked when DSL would be available. She was told six months. That was six YEARS ago last month. No DSL, and, these days, no more promises. It's faster by far, and also far cheaper $14.95 versus $49.95), but they don't have a repeater close enough. THe nearest one is about six miles away, exactly where the nearest one was six years ago.
On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 15:24:53 +0000, notbob wrote:

Throw away email accounts are easily acquired. I'm using one in this post. So the above requirement should be no problem.

notbob wrote:

My worth as a human being is hardly dependent on whether or not you pay for air, or not...

I wouldn't know, I never felt the need to hide anything, but my guess is no one there would have a clue what return address you put in your mail program unless bad things started happening.

I think, without reading it, the implication is he would prefer you use usenet for legal purpose and not be hiding behind a fake address. I don't think he has a problem if you add junk to your address in some wacky attempt to prevent spam. I think he would have a problem if I posted under say, your name with your email address, or were spewing out spam across usenet using his servers. Nothing normal folks should be concerned with.

I liked it better when I got binaries free from Comcast/Giganews. Other than that, I got nothing.
Relax and have a nice day. ;)
Ditto.
--
Jack

I'd agree, but having had their service, I'm willing to pay $3 to get faster service, less posting hassle, and all of the posts, not just "most" of them. E-S is free, but not as good as the pay services from my experience.
wrote in message >

One owner of a website pointed out that if you pay for service you've got someone to complain to when (not if) something goes wrong. Sometimes free services just cost too much.
Puckdropper
"Puckdropper" wrote