frustrating bandsaw problem

I've had a Grizzly G0555 with riser block for a few years now. All in all I've had no problem with it. Being a weekend woodworker it doesn't get too much use. I'm having an awful time getting a 3/16 blade to stay on the crown of the tires. I use blades on up to 3/4 and have no problems but I can't seem to get it to stay.

I'm figuring it's my technique of install and tension but no matter what I try it fails. The wheels are coplanar and the tires are relatively new and have no pits nor sawdust clogs.

What happens is I get it installed on the crown upper & lower and then begin to tension. As I tension, the blade begins to move forward or back and I adjust the tilt accordingly. However, in the moving forward or back the blade gets off the crown of the lower tire. It takes quite a bit of manipulating to finally get the tension just right at the point the blade is crowned. After that, usually no problem, I can slice 1/4 slabs without drift, etc. I just think that changing a blade should be a 5 minute job not an hour.

Anyone have a solution short of selling the bandsaw :)

Thanx!

Reply to
Vic Baron

Are the wheels in the same plane?

Reply to
CW

Yes - first thing I checked.

Reply to
Vic Baron

Changed to a new blade - all is well. Old one must have had a problem - go figure

Reply to
Vic Baron

Yup, blade'll get you sometimes. When I got my G0555 new, did a very short test with supplied 3/8" blade just to see it work, then installed riser kit. Couldn't get the 105" blade that came with the kit on the wheels! Called their tech support, they gave me the URL for the tensioner upgrade, BUT also sent me a new blade. The original one was just a tad too short.

Nahmie

Reply to
Nahmie

I too encounter the same problems, did everything you said. I called Grizzly and they send me a new riser (complete). Installed the new riser same thing again.

I finally solved the problems. I sold the Grizzly and get a used Delta.

Reply to
WD