Delta Bandsaw with riser block enuf power?

Hi guys, Hey I'm thinking about increasing the capacity of my delta 14" 1 HP bandsaw, with the riser block kit. I'm concerned will it have enough power to resaw much past it current 6" capacity? It struggles now on the big stuff (5/8" 3tpi olson all-pro), what is it like with the riser kit ? And once I have the kit installed will it perform the same with small stuff like curves with a 1/4 or 3/8's blade?

How 'bout some opinions from those of you that have made the transition. Thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark

There will be absolutely no difference on the lighter work, since you'll be running the guides down close to the work anyway.

On the heavy cuts you may occasionally stall the motor. Especially if you're cutting something like a log, where you get a bit of twist binding the blade.

I've got a 1 hp motor on my saw and it does stall occasionally, even though it's set to run a bit slower than normal. It is a wood/metal saw, and the step pulleys I've got on it aren't standard.

On the other hand, though, I'm not sure you constantly want to be drawing more than 1 hp - the saw isn't made to handle it.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

It's not the riser kit that bogs the motor down. It's the wood. Cutting 12" cherry slows down my 1 1/4HP Jet. But it works.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

10" Maple slows down my 1HP G0555 too, and I did stall the blade a couple times by feeding too fast. However, slow down your feed a little & it should handle it fine.
Reply to
Norman D. Crow