flat chisel back - only at cutting edge or along entire length?

This is the part I think that makes me not buy something like Blue Chips. I don't mind "medium grade" chisels, but I expect them to be consistently medium grade or better with no substandard examples. If the company doesn't have quality control, then they are substandard and should be charging a substandard price. If they want to do better, then get some control over the process.

There isn't really any excuse for selling a chisel that has a convex back, short of shipping damage, or you are charging $1/chisel.

Perhaps my standards are too high.

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

And Dave wants to know...

No knowledge of what you claim in the quote above. To wit, "Marples are ... substandard, due to the softness of the metal they are currently using."

If you know it to be a fact, that the Marples chisels are now being made with a different metal than previously and that in fact this new metal is softer than what was used before, please do share how you came upon the information. I suspect you were merely fishing for an explanation of why your chisels failed. My suspicion is supported by the rest of your post:

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Done. (G) I bet you'd have won. I'm guessing you meant he'd neither stick to his guns nor retract it (to put it nicely).

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

for craps sake's Jim the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. I don't need to be a metallurgist to know that the chisel was a POS. If you saw the chisel in question, I think you'd be hard pressed to give it a passing grade. Same with the Buck. Their qualities were identical.

I don't know why you are obsessed with "proving" me wrong. In YOUR mind I'm wrong. so be it. Knock yourself out.

dave

Jim Wils> Bay Area Dave wrote...

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

how does one "win" from an indefensible position? YOU, nor Charlie saw the chisel in question.

AND you still continue to stick your head in the sand about all the other negative Marples comments made by quite a few other Wreckers over the course of 3 different threads recently.

give it up.

you have your opinion, and a bunch of others have theirs. and NEVER the twain shall meet.

dave

Jim Wils> Charlie Self wrote...

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Hey, I'm feeling a little twinge of the same guilt myself. (G)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Jim Wilson responds:

Yes. That or telling you you didn't know what you were talking about. But I guess even his nerve failed at that point.

Charlie Self "Adam and Eve had many advantages but the principal one was that they escaped teething." Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie Self

Looks PURPLE!!! from where I am.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

an some folks accuse ME of starting a ruckus around here??? :)

His ploys are so thinly disguised it's a no brainer to see he just wanted to piss me off. The best solution to maintain a bit of harmony around here is for me to avoid him and Charlie.

dave

Jim Wils> C>

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

If you *were* a metallurgist, you wouldn't make a statement like you did. It's wrong, and it shows that you don't know much about metal, or specifically, how Marples makes their chisels and why yours didn't work the way it should. You're not expected to, of course, this being rec.woodworking. The problem is, you make an incorrect assertion as if it were fact, and then are surprised and defensive when you're called on it.

Look. It is ok for you to say, "The edge on a Marples chisel I just bought failed when it shouldn't have." You know that much. It's not ok for you to say, "Marples chisels suck now because they use too soft a metal." That is codswallop. Get it? There's no proof and no pudding involved. It's black and white. One is something you know, the other is meaningless blather.

I'm not obsessed. I'm not trying to "prove" you wrong. You were wrong all by yourself. I just pointed it out. You asked what I meant, so I showed you *why* it was wrong. You then think I'm obsessed with proving you wrong. Not at all. I'm trying to help you to be right. The fastest way you can get there from here is to admit your error (even if only to yourself) and move on.

Uh, no, in FACT, you're wrong. What I think or say has no bearing on the truth of the matter. Unless what you claimed were actually true, you were wrong with no help from me!

Cheers!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Dave, how do you so often and so grossly misunderstand? Are you doing it on purpose??? Do I have a great big hook in my mouth?

Charlie was almost willing to bet on how you'd respond. He predicted correctly. So I said he would have won his bet. It had nothing to do with the chisel!

...and it has nothing whatever to do with opinion.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Well he did manage to escape my killfile (through repost) and sucker in two of the wreck's nice guys who are trying to reason with him.

Alan Bierbaum

web site:

Alan Bierbaum

go argue with a tree. this thread is SO over for me. you are hopeless.

dave

Jim Wils> Bay Area Dave wrote...

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

reason? NOT!

they are trying their best to ignore my experience and the experience of about 10 others (approx) that Marples chisels don't hold an edge. What's to "reason". It's just facts they don't want to face.

dave

Alan Bierbaum wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

ah, what do you expect from a guy with only 15 chisels....

Reply to
bridger

Dave:

Bring your Marples and Bucks when you wander by, I'd like to sharpen 'em up and see how they work. Have scraps of rosewood, maple, teak, ipe, mahogany (the King of Woods), sycamore, walnut, ash, beech (or it could be birch) and some cherry to play on.

And now you're going to have to try Jim's mortising chisels. If you roll and edge on one of his chisels you're doing something wrong.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Yeah, Charlie, I'll bring a few with me, probably next week. they are already sharp! easily cut the hairs on my arm at the slightest touch.

I was gonna tease you earlier about my bringing a 5 lb. sledge to whack your mortising chisels with! :)

dave

charlie b wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Hahaha! Now THAT is funny!!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Am I the only one who is reminded of the chicken-hawk from the old Foghorn Leghorn cartoons?

Chuck Vance I say, son ... you're doing a lot of choppin', but no chips are flyin'.

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

Thank you all for replying, especially to the few who posted useful comments.

I apologize for be> Hello,

Reply to
foo