Multimaster Edge cutting tool/kit.

Any opinions regarding Multimaster? As currently much advertised on TV recently. At around $400! Seems pricey even if any good? TIA.

Reply to
terry

Tom

Reply to
tom

From what I've read recently, Fein HAD the patent locked up on this oscillating design - hence the price!

But as soon as the patent expired in late 2008, other mfrs like Bosch, Dremel, Rockwell and Chicago(Harbor Freight) came on board with similar tools, so check all of them out before paying infomercial prices:

I picked up the cheapie $45 Harbor Freight model just to try a multitool

- and (aside from the annoyance of retightening blades in this crude Chinese version), it seems to do those oddball jobs I need it for.

Reply to
Bob(but not THAT Bob)

You'll get the hang of tightening to the required tension (I taped my allen wrench to the power cord).

Dremel blades fit the HarborMaster. Evidently, all the blades are interchangeable amongst the different manufacturers.

Reply to
HeyBub

Superb tool. One of those that finds a remarkable amount of work, sometimes in totally unexpected ways--I used it the other day to cut up a piece of plywood that was wedged in the snowblower for one example. Also one of the few power tools that you can hand a kid with the knowldge that he's going to have to work at it to hurt himself with it.

Note that there are several functional equivalents on the market, from Dremel, Bosch, Rockwell/Worx (no relation to the big aerospace contractor), and Harbor Freight. IIRC the Rockwell and Harbor Freight can use Multmaster blades, but not the Dremel or Bosch, don't hold me to that though, I might be misremembering. The Dremel though for sure has a different mount.

Go with the "Top" kit--it's expensive up front but signficantly cheaper than getting all the accessories separately.

Reply to
J. Clarke