Finishing Sanders

Page 3 of 3
"Steve knight" wrote

And be careful where you step.

It is hard to remember, but at one time they did indeed. they had an industrial line that was pretty damn good. I was never much on the homeowners line, though. I think that was more like 40 years ago.

I have this sander, and it is almost as good as my half sheet Milwaukee.
http://tinyurl.com/yvku3k
Like the smaller Bosch sander, you can almost vacuum with due to the fact that the dust collection is so good. It cuts really well, leaves a good surface, but like Rob said earlier, plan on punching your own holes. Their punch pad works OK on finer grits, but get to the heavy stuff and it just makes a mess.
I also use a Milwaukee that is heavier (older!) at 7 lbs. but you can use it all day long with no fatigue. However, being a little older design it doesn't have great dust collection system. OK, but not great. I caught it on ebay a few years back for $125 or so with the steel case. Not a mark on it, and no sanding dust in the internals. Worth every nickel at twice the price. Check at the size and accessibility of the holding clamps.
http://tinyurl.com/3ah59t
As Leon pointed out, PC still makes the venerated 505. It used to be the industry standard 1/2 sheet, but I don't know about it now. I used one for years, but now here we are in the new century and they haven't done anything of significance for dust collection. I don't always work out in a parking lot or messy jobsite.
I used the Bosch to sand down a fireplace mantle that I was refinishing in an occupied house. With the dust collection set up (the shop vac outside the house) and my portable dust collector on the room I was able to sand down the 7 - 8' mantle with my 5" Bosch and finish with the Bosch 1/2 sheet with no problems. A quick dusting and we were out of there.
Then of coure there are other brands, but the point is that there are still high quality hard working 1/2 sheeters out there.
Unless Craftsman has a new line of sanders, I wouldn't even look at them.
Robert
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

SFWIW, Have a Bosch 3727, 6" ROS, and a Fein Multi, detail sander, that both use H&L paper.
Use Klingspor as a supplier.
If you are willing to buy 100 pieces per grit (50 for the Fein) and meet a $50.00 minimum order, the cost of sanding discs is no longer much of an issue, IMHO.
Lew

I have one of these that is still going strong after at least ten years.
http://tinyurl.com/3bqa25
Max
On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 10:15:33 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

******
eat the samoosa to reply

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 05:27:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

I have a Black and Decker Pro, since 1985. Although I bought a refurbished unit it is still going strong but I wouldn't trust B&D today. You should be ok with Bosch, Festool or maybe Klingspor. Sadly, Porter-Cable's quality is not what it used to be.