Sears 1993 Garage door opener

Trying to assist my octagenarion neighbor, I need help programing and troubleshooting his sears opener. He's the first to welcome me to the block so I'm linked to him in eternal gratitude. Please help me!

Reply to
jhill

something or something else.

When working on the overhead portion of the opener, always unplug the power first because if the unit starts unexpectedly it could grab a sleeve, finger, or hair and cause serious injury, even amputation. Don't underestimate how hard an opener can push, pull, or crush. There's also exposed high voltage inside the opener. On the other hand the thin external wiring for the wall button and optical sensors work at low voltage and is safe to handle, unless there's an electrical fault inside the overhead portion (plugging it into a ground fault interrupter protected outlet will prevent injury in that case).

Does the opener work from the wall button but not from the remote? If another remote works, then the remote is bad, probably due to a weak battery or cracked solder joint. Otherwise the antenna wire in the receiver may have cracked right where it's soldered to the circuit board. Cracked solder is common because of the vibration from the motor.

Does the door open normally but not close at all? If so, then the optical sensors at the door threshhold could be misaligned (an indicator light should glow steadily if they're aligned), their wiring could be loose at the overhead unit, or there may be a broken connection, often at one of the sensor boxes.

Does the door start to move but then reverse direction? The force sensor sensitivity may be set too high, the door mechanism may not be properly aligned or lubricated, or the door may not be balanced right.

Do you hear clicking but the motor only grunts briefly? The motor's capacitor or a relay may be defective.

The manufacturer is Chamberlain,

and their website has troubleshooting information. If you don't find the solution there, phone them at 1-800-528-5880. I wouldn't mention that the unit is a Sears, but they tend to help anyway with Sears units since they're paranoid about injuries from defective openers.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

I have a 95 model which is about the same as an 86 model that I used to have.

I even have my manual for the current one. Somewhere.

What do you need to know.

Reply to
Colbyt