Epoxy, PVA, yellow, Gorilla Glue or something else?

With all due respect, I don't agree. Epoxy is the choice for loose joints. Put too much clamping pressure on the wooktop glue-up and you squeeze out the epoxy and starve the joint and the epoxy fails where plain old PVA or Aliphatic Resin glue will do just fine. I love epoxy in loose mortise & tenon joints, but for a panel glue-up, give me plain old water based glue any time (aliphatic resin or PVA).

Reply to
Max Mahanke

If you disagree with the statement that epoxy is the best adhesive available, then we will have to agree to disagree.

One of the benefits of filled epoxy is that it will fill gaps if properly applied, but not one of it's limitations.

A little difficult to blame the tool if it is improperly applied.

Do you need epoxy for probably 80% of all wood working applications?

Heavens NO, but if you need epoxy, there is no substitute except when working with white oak, then it is rescorcinol time.

My comments were aimed at addressing the epoxy cost issue.

The plans for the project called for epoxy.

Yes, epoxy is more expensive than other adhesives; however, as a percentage of the total cost of the project, it gets lot in the wash.

My point is that if you want to try to save money on a project, look to other areas other than the adhesive used.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
Pete Stolz

Pete Stolz wrote: > Hi Lew, > I like your idea to take it to a commercial > top shop for them to sand it flat though. Now, do you mean a counter top > place, or something else? Like I said in an earlier post, I'm a rookie at > this stuff...having fun, but wanting to do it right.

A commercial drum sanding shop. Need sombody with a 48", 3 belt machine.

A couple of passes and there done.

Try to work a deal where they run you piece thru when they are doing another job.

Will take longer but cost less.

Enjoy.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
Pete Stolz

David Marks would use "A long setting plastic resin glue."

Urea Formaldehyde (sp) glue. I've been looking for a local supplier in KY with no luck.

Reply to
Modat22

I got Unibond 800 from Vacupress,

Art Greenberg

Is there an advantage in using that instead of plastic resin?

dave

Reply to
David

I believe that UF glue is a plastic resin glue.

Reply to
Art Greenberg