Help with joinery on bedside table carcase

I found this in an issue of FWW from a while back. Neither the drawing nor the article makes it clear how the bottom is fastened other than the screws at the front.

assume that it is fastened to the back of the plinth with a screw in an elongated hole?

What would you recommend for fastening it to the sides? I have so far considered dowels and dovetails. Anyone have any other ideas?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

That's what it looks like to me. I'd pocket-hole the rail and drive straight through the plinth into the carcass.... a bit crude, but effective... and reversible. Nice design! You will show us the finished project, no?

Robatoy

That's the idea. Of course it may take me all summer to get it done...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I'd rabbet it and glue the rabbet into stopped dados on the sides. Same idea as way the top hold down buttons hook to the sides.

Reply to
dadiOH

I thought about a varient of that. The downside is that you have no long grain-to-long grain gluing. What are the chances of the glue letting go?

One of the guys on the canadian woodworking forums figured it was dovetailed to the sides. That would certainly add some strength, but also a fair bit more work.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Zero to slim. What's going to pull it loose? No pressure outward on the sides from anything and the sides are on a plinth to boot.

I have a "down & dirty" workshop table cum tool cabinet that I made 13 years ago. The drawer sides are glued into dados in the drawer fronts. Both are solid wood, not ply. One side of one of the twelve drawers let loose a few days ago...it is the drawer that holds a bunch of wrenches, must weigh close to 50 pounds. I don't think your cabinet sides would let go :)

Reply to
dadiOH