Does anyone still make tape measure refill tapes?

Seems to me that refill tapes for tape measures used to be available. I say used to be, because I've been shopping around when I get into town. Nobody seems to have them, and the general consensus is that they aren't available anymore. Guess I'll have to spring for the $15 to $20 for a whole new tape. Unless, that is, someone here can enlighten me as to a source for these things.
Hopefully:
Bob
--
re. email: I have no equal.

try sears. they used to have em. but then everyone else used to have em too!!!!!!!! good luck. skeez
    We are in the building trade and used to buy refills (we exclusively use 25 and 30 foot chrome stanley's) but when the refills began to cost as much as a tape they started to disapear (and of course we stopped buying). It used to be that a 25' chrome stanley would cost about 15-17 dollars depending on how you bought them. The refills were then about 10.00 and we felt it worthwhile to buy them. Now however, when we buy the tapes by the box (4pcs at a time) we pay just over 8.00 for a 25' tape and a bit more for a 30. I dont think they could sell you the refill for what it would be worth.     We have used a lot of different tapes and have personally found these the best for us. We go through a lot of them but even for the individual buying 4 at a time is not a big deal at under 40 bucks. For the average joe that may be a year or more worth of tapes. I seem to buy a couple boxes every couple months hehe...     The sad part now is that the blades are usually not what fails for us, its the recoil, which is now a sealed unit and cant be repaired. Perhaps they should sell those!
Mark
Dirty Bob wrote:

Sears sell a nice refillable tape. HD will give you a new Stanley for an old one. Wilson

say
Nobody
available
tape.
Saw some 25' ones in WalMart this week, wide tape, with rubber cover. $1.95 for the whole shebang. With disposable tapes like that, why buy just a part for one.
Dirty Bob wrote:

--

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

say
Nobody
available
tape.
Mcmaster-carr catalog #104 p1725 has the tapes and rep.blades - the replacement tapes are 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of the original.... By the way- the last cheapie i bought was a 1/4" out in 20'.Not bad but not accurate when there is one guy taking the measure and nuther doing the cutting. pat
patrick mitchel wrote:

Actually, this is true with all tapes. When you have two people working off each other you HAVE to start first by both hooking your tapes and run them out to the longest measure and see how far off they are. This is one reason we would wind up with many many tapes as if they dont match when you are doing critical work you wind up getting two new ones out of the trailer (put them back when and save them for two man operations). If they are only off by a little and the job isnt too critical you can bend the tips a bit to true them up.
The tip (the rivets in the slider) is where they wear out but a slight bend in the tip can true one up if the slider isnt really badly worn. Just remember to always bend the one that is measuring too long, that way the tip will still grab and not slip.
Mark
On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 21:22:25 -0400, Gerald Ross

They're labeled in Chinese inches. Whoda thunk it?
--- Annoy a politician: Be trustworthy, faithful, and honest! --- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
I work at Home Depot (most often in the Tool Corral) and have never seen a tape measure refill. Stanley used to give a lifetime warranty on tapes, but no longer. Since Stanley doesn't offer the lifetime warranty, neither does HD and depends how old the tape is, if HD will replace it.
Good luck

My 35-year-old Stanley 12' gave up the ghost on Friday. I was brokenhearted to learn that the free replacement policy was no longer in effect. If the new one lasts 35 years, however, I will be more than happy, and probably long dead by the time it gives out. -- Ernie
Stanley used to warranty the rivets,I'm not joking.Drill one of the rivets out and they had to take it back. DAMHIKT

brokenhearted
I just replaced the tape on my Stanley 1"x25' tape today. Somehow, the tape around the hook at the rivets had started to tear, and I let it snap back too hard yesterday, and it ripped the hook off with a piece of the tape. Didn't think anyone would carry replacement tapes anymore, so I was planning to buy a new 25' measure today. They were out of the silver bodied ones like I have, but surprise!, there were some replacement tapes. Took some work to get the spring would up right, but now I've got a like new tape in a beat up body (the tape measure, not mine!).
John
And, who, pray tell, were "they". That's what I'm looking for!

"Dirty Bob" writes:

Probably cost more than a new tape complete which is why you don't very often find them.
--
Lew

William E. Prisavage wrote:

Ahh yet another contributor to the downfall of all things quality. Now, just because some idiot who owns a drill and a drill bit wants a new tape they can F*ck an honest and quality manufacturer at will. The American conscience has no bounds. Its a scary world this one you are building.
Sweet dreams... hope you dont have kids,
Mark