does anyone make...

a fluorescent spiral "bulb" that draws less than 13W? At least at the "big box" stores around me they only have the 13W (60W equivalent) and

100W equivalent fluorescent; they are too bright for the fixtures in the bedrooms at my house. The problem is that the fixtures are cheezy and are only rated for 40W bulbs; I'm hesitant to even use those since the house wiring is cloth covered and therefore not 90C rated like modern wire (what the fixture mfgrs. likely planned on) so I'd like to use as little wattage as possible. Two 15W incandescents are OK with me but according to the girlie are too dim. Eventual solution unless I can find smaller bulbs will probably be leaving one 13W fluorescent in each fixture, will look a little odd but what can you do.

I do plan on replacing the fixtures with better ones, but probably not until spring. Reason for this is I would like to replace the ceiling boxes with fan rated ones and prewire for fans at the same time, which would involve being up in the attic.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Yes, see e.g.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Yep. I just bought some yesterday at Home Depot, in fact. 9W, supposedly equivalent light output to a 40W incandescent.

UPC # is 762148580942

Cost $7.97

Reply to
Doug Miller

Fluorescent bulbs produce significantly less heat, so there shouldn't be a problem with a 13W one.

I have seen some that were physically smaller, and could fit in a fixture too small for a regular bulb (I have a couple of ceiling fans like that). These are GE brand, part number 85390.

I also have some 7W (marked 40W replacement) bulbs that I got at Lowe's (Bright Effects #84878). These have candelabra base, but include edison base adapters.

I haven't seen any smaller than 7W, maybe at that point you're better off with LEDs.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I didn't anticipate a problem with heat. The problem is that with two

13W fluorescents in the fixture, turning on the light while someone is still in bed is likely to result in howls of pain and flinging of heavy objects :) There were originally two 15W incandescents in the fixture and I didn't mind, but SWMBO thought it was a little too dim. Emphasis on a little.

I'll have to look for those; I didn't see any when I was shopping last night, but I'll have to make a return trip to shop for new fixtures anyway.

thanks,

nate

Reply to
N8N

Not only are 40W equivalent in compact spiral common at both HD and Lowes but HD has a 3W CFL and Lowes a 4W CFL. Both are candelabra shape but with either medium bases or adapters. I bought a couple last weekend. You really haven't looked very well.

Now if you were complaining about the extortionate cost of low wattage CFL's or the lies about their long lives...

Reply to
YouDontNeedToKnow

At the time I was not doing research for usenet posting, but looking for what I needed. I didn't need less than the 7W ones so didn't continue looking.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

: less than 13W? I have some 5w spiral CF's.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant