Does anyone make...

...a stand alone central heating controler with a built in web server so that it can be controlled remotely? Preferably connected via wireless

802.11b/g.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Robertson

It doesn't look like Danfoss or Honeywell do such a thing.

But then 802.11 b/g wireless networking programmer installs isn't the average sort of install for a plumber.

Bill Gates probably has something like it in his pad.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Look at systems based around X10. OK, so you'll need a computer to handle the control/web aspect, but it will give the solution you require.

have been very good in my experience.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

Do you want a self contained one i.e. a box connected to the central heating connected to ethernet or something like a module you plug into a computer which runs aweb server. The second should not be too hard to make as its just a module with 240A relays on which are controlled using some web interface.

Reply to
Rob Convery

Just be patient. As I mentioned a while back when I was at heating exhibition chatting to a Honeywell rep I said that my dream product would be a CM67 with a net connection so that I could reprogram the church heating from my desk here. His reply made me think that they already have something like this working in the R&D department.

Of course what makes things like this become commercially viable is the massive growth in broadband, from nothing to 50% IIRC in just a few years.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

They list a telephone override module, not seen how much it is though.

Reply to
Matt

I just thought that "in this day and age" where every little router, switch, webcam or printer has a built in web server to control it remotely then the costs for embedding this kind of technology must be pretty low and therefore other devices that could benefit from remote control might be out there with these capabilities?

Ideally it would be a standalone device, almost exactly the same as an existing programmer with hard wired connections to a boiler, just with the addition of the means to connect it to a network - either by Ethernet or

802.11 wireless. A simple little web interface and away you go! Maybe I've spotted the niche in the market - you watch, they'll be all over the place soon!

Maybe there would also be a market for embedding the technology in

  1. Telephone answering machines (I know you can call them up and access them remotely) but what's the use of technology if not used gratuitously!
  2. Digital HDD Recorders - set the video when you're out
  3. Ovens - Forgot to turn it off? Do it remotely!
  4. Burglar Alarms

and I don't doubt many more items. Tie them all together with a common switching/programming protocol and we can all change our surnames to Jetson.

whilst X10 does some of these things via power switching, it will never be able to do much more than turn things on and off. It's a thiry odd year old protocol that is long due for replacement and can be temperamental at the best of times.

Any one know of any "Non-IT" appliances that have this sort of thing built in?

Grant

Reply to
Grant robertson

Most BMS companies offer a web-access controller, e.g., the Trend one;

'd have to buy these + installation + programming from an approved contractor, probably most of =A32,500. The Supervisor programme for the PC is not cheap, the cheapest non-OEM programme is =A3400ish AFAIK.

The older generation of BMS controllers could be contacted and settings altered via a dial-up modem.

Reply to
Aidan

Why not you?

add a thermistor...

Reply to
Joe

Have a look at

can certainly find what you want and more.

It is not cheap, however.

Reply to
Andy Hall

This might do