Random Orbit Sander problem PC 333VS

I hate my Porter-Cable 333VS.

The dust collector always falls off.

I have had to replace the pad that holds the sandpaper three times and now the screw and holes that hold that pad on are stripped out.

Which other random orbit sander would you recommend?

I am very down on Porter-Cable. Just sold a 7529 router for $50 because it sucks too.

Switched to a DeWalt and love it.

It sucks when you spend the money to get a premium product and get crap.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Well, Hitachi is very good, Milwaukee is always good and Fein/Triton are usually clasified as the best along with Festoold and AEG. But, I like products from all the major manf. So, I have the following tools in my shop that I would buy again if given a choice:

Milwaukee drills (4) , router, old Senco-air tools-SNS 45m SLS, others Sioux- air sander Hitachi-router M12V Delta-Unisaw Jet- bandsaw 14", closed stand Delta jointer-Old Rockwell DeWalt planer Poter-Cable sanders, biscuit joiner Bosch-jig saw, would now buy the new Milwaukee Paslode-air nailers, cordless nailers I would buy them again if given a choice of whatever I wanted. I personally LOVE the PC 333 VS sander and the Whisper Series belt sanders. I have a Mikata belt sander but much prefer the PC sander. Sorry to hear you had a bad sander.

Reply to
Ramsey

Learn to use your tools. If you insist on high pressure on the sander get a psa pad instead of a felcro. You cannot expect any felcro pad sander to hold up to high pressure and heat.....

Reply to
BillW

mine did the same thing, I took some screws that had larger threads and re-tapped the holes... seems to be holding. After the beltsander with no real dust pickup, a drill that will not hold a bit tight for longer than 10 turns, and this sander, I will not buy PC again!

Reply to
joe

Joe,

Thanks for the info.

I think I'm done with PC as well.

Of the three PC items I have purchased, I have been very unhappy with two of them.

Not a good average.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Rob spaketh...

I have the 333 and have been very satisfied.

True, I fixed that problem with a small 3/4" screw, now it isn't a problem. You're right, it shouldn't be a problem.

Did you contact PC about the recurring problem? Are you using it for extended periods? Maybe using a lot of pressure and/or covering the exhaust with your hand causing heat build up? You might be better served with a heavier duty sander like a 97366 or a belt sander.

You seem fond of DeWalt.

Vacuums suck, routers spin.

Reply to
McQualude

McQualude,

You make some good points.

Good idea with the screw. Hadn't thought of that.

My only experience with DeWalt is my DW 621. I like it much better than my old PC 7529.

It's lighter, and has much easier depth adjustment and smoother plunge mechanism.

Not familiar with a 97366. Is this a PC product?

Thanks!

Rob

Reply to
Rob

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 14:56:50 -0600, Rob wrote (in message ):

Wasn't this one of the problems on the early models? I seem to remember reading about it in a review. My 333vs collector stays on fine (purchased 18 months ago)

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

I have a plain 333 w/hook & loop pad and it works just fine. The dust collector is held on with an O-ring, and the lower part is wedged quite tightly on. No problems so far.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Rob spaketh...

Just a little heavier duty RAS by PC.

Reply to
McQualude

Same here. If I have any complaint it's that the dust collector is too tight and very difficult to get off for emptying.

This whole thread suprised me. I have only had good experience with PC and started using them on the recommendation of a friend who is a contractor and uses them on a daily basis with no complaints. You sure you guys didn't get some refurbished crapsmen that were painted gray? ;-)

-Chris

Reply to
Chris

ROS not RAS.. :~)

Reply to
Leon

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with PC products. I have had such great experiences with them, that I buy gray and black whenever possible. I have yet to buy any yellow tools, but those I have used on job sites have been good enough, but no better than PC in my experience.

I have the 333, a 3x21 belt sander, 690 router, 12" CMS, and 12V Cordless Drill. I love all of them to death, and have had 0 problems with any of them. I'm now starting to consider a new circular saw, and the SawBoss is looking pretty nice.

In reviews I've read, the DeWalt ROS comes in a close 2nd to the PC, so that seems like a reasonable alternative.

I hope you have better luck with your next sander, but don't give up on PC! You got a couple bad apples.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed