Tool question-PC Sander

My Porter Cable model 333 five inch random orbit sander stopped random orbiting. It only spins at high speed now. Something msut have broke. I took it apart and can't find the culprit. Any ideas? I found a parts diagram and parts source on the web, but I don't know what to replace.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

Reply to
SteveC1280

Bet it's the "brake" strap. This is a plastic strap that slows down the spindle a bit so the speed won't run away as you lift the sander from the surface. You can see this part through the lower vent holes.

-Bruce

Reply to
BruceR

Bruce is right about the part. I have a good tool repair place nearby (Daytona Beach, FL area) that has them in stock. I bought a couple against the next time it breaks. Not very expensive (although more than you would think for a little piece of plastic), and easy to replace.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Belt #37 in the PC parts diagram probably broke or slipped off pulley #37B.

's also possible that pulley #37B is loose and just spinning. The screw holding this LH thread, so turn CCW to tighten it.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

This is a repost. the original seems to have been lost by scumcast.

************

Belt #37 in the PC parts diagram probably broke or slipped off pulley #37B.

's also possible that pulley #37B is loose and just spinning. The screw holding this LH thread, so turn CCW to tighten it.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Geez, belt 37 isn't too bad, but some of the other parts cost as much as the sander!

Reply to
John

Thanx guys. It was the pulley #37 that was spinning. I tightened it up and presto, it works. I should replace the belt as well, just for good measure.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

Reply to
SteveC1280

Maybe put a dab of threadlock to keep it from coming loose again.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular