The "Sagulator" is cool, but...

I'm building a small wall unit with narrow shelves that will be attached to the back panel as well as the sides. I doubt that the "Sagulator"

takes that into account. Is there another resource on the web or a way to figure how much additional support is provided by attaching a shelf to the rear wall? My shelves are going to be quite shallow; about 5 1/2". In other words, I'd like to calculate the "sag" for a shelf that is support on 3 edges.

TIA

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Intuitive, non-engineer answer: Too many other variables to be able to answer the question. Some pertinent factors: stiffness of the back, stiffness of the sides, other shelves (which will tend to stiffen the sides, making them less able to twist to accommodate a sag of one edge of the shelf in question). Probably lots of etc's I'm not thinking of.

Reply to
alexy

In general, if a shelf is suported on 3 sides (and I'm working with stock of any real thickness - say 3/4" or more), I tend not to worry about shelf sag unless the shelf is really wide.

I have some pine bookcases I built about 30 years ago - they're a full foot deep, supported on 3 sides (grooves in the plywood back and wood sides),

3/4" stock. they've held my dad's engineering library since they were made (big, heavy books), and there is a *slight* sag in the middle. Barely noticable unless you actually sight along the edge.

YMMV

--JD

Reply to
j.duprie

I agree; I'm not gonna worry about the sag since the shelves will be supported in dados and secured to the back as well.

dave

j.duprie wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

replying to Bay Area Dave, CruzR wrote: looking at the first few comments it appears you folks have not used Sagulator. I use it all the time; it's awesome. Before you use it, it is extremely imperative that you read the directions very carefully.

Reply to
CruzR

Wow! Bay Area Dave! Haven't seen that moniker for a decade or so.

And as for CruzR, whatever that may be, you have no clue. Not about Usenet, nor about "you folks".

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Here is my Sagulator, it is the LFAT model.

Leon