Dishwater Motor

Page 2 of 4
?

Properly operating, it is either open or closed with a little hum from the magnet when held open. If the magnet it getting a bad signal, it can vibrate.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I think you are right. I think the extra whiney noises at the end of each wash cycle may give some extra credo to your solenoid valve suggestion. The location of the noise (left bottom front) as well.
Thanks, Bill
Bill, this is somewhat off topic, but I'm thinking you must be single!
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Bob AZ wrote:

I did find the "installation manual" online which made me realize that there can be more to an install than one might suspect.
Listening to it humm just now... I couldn't resist getting on my hands and knees to take a look. The sound is Definitely coming from the front left bottom corner. Right now, it feels like 10PM and I'm getting ready for work tomorrow, but I'll remove the access cover and peek inside later....
Bill
Bill wrote:

Keep using it while watching CraigsList. I often see dishwashers for free. Pick up one or two as spares for the day when yours finally croaks.

Then you'd have to store it somewhere, perhaps for years. You only have to extrapolate that a few years to wind up with a collection of spares that will effectively crowd out all your scrap lumber [with which you were going to build something useful an d unique as soon as you get around to it]. Then where would you be?
Dave in Houston

How about finding a good appliance repairman? Even a $250 repair bill would be the better bargain if the unit is good for another eight years.
Dave in Houston
On 2/5/2011 9:33 PM, Bill wrote:

As said else where in this thread check all of the belts, idler arms etc. before giving up on the machine. If it turns out to definitely be the motor I would replace the unit. After 8 years there are probably spot that are nearly rusted through and a many other things that are about to let go. If you are the one to tell your wife "lets go get a new dish washer" you will look like a hero.
We had a washing machine that after replacing every part in it, I decided to replace it, but since I had fixed it so many times my wife insisted that I look at it. It turned out to be a $2 resistor.
On 2/6/2011 7:52 AM, knuttle wrote:

"belts and idler arms" ????
--
Steve Barker

Yes, it may not be the motor. I had a Maytag many years ago start making noise, it got louder and louder over several months until it sounded like it was grinding gravel. A replacement pump solved the problem. The pump bearings had leaked detergent into the internal parts and corroded the balls and raceway. It went silent after the replacement until other problems started a few years later.

I don't know if this rule of thumb is valuable to a news group dedicated to repairing and fixing. The ROT is once the cost of repair exceeds 50% of replacement value, it's time to replace.
Joe G
GROVER wrote:

Lew said: { Having to pull the appliance out of a cubby hole to gain access to the innards, all the time making sure you don't plow a groove in the floor covering gets your juices flowing, especially at 10:00PM on a work night.
Then realizing that you don't have the special tool the repairman has to get at a special screw in order to make the repair, frustrated you ask yourself, "How the F**K do I get out of this mess?"
You have two choices, go down the road above or wisely avoid the trap. }
--- My dad would have sided with Lew. I've got a 15 year old television that I would not repair if it broke either. It seems to help me to think of it like that than as a ($) opportunity lost...lol Thank you for your help and support folks!
Bill

But you still have not said what WW tools you put in the dishwasher!
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Obviously, most of the ones that won't seem to fit anywhere else! All the space under the bed and dressers is already taken...
Seriously, since I started collecting old tools, I feel a little like a "hoarder".
Bill

Oh, Jeez! Don't talk about hoarding! Wife's got me reading a book on hoarding. She's got the idea that my valuable collections of books, tools, cameras, model railroad stuff, and magazines is somehow hoarding. You're not a Real Hoarder until stuff like a couch can't be used for its intended purpose.
You can obviously still run the dishwasher if you can hear it whine. Say, you haven't left a cordless tool running in there have you?
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

Tell me about it. I'm more of a tool collector than a woodworker.
-- If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs. --Thomas Jefferson
On 2/7/2011 9:25 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

What is your current or next project?
Bill

Outside: Current- I need to finish the metal patio cover for the back yard and Next- build another storage shed.
Future furniture- I have the lumber, foam, batting, thread, fabrics, webbing, and webbing clips for a new couch, but no freakin' _shop_ space in which to do it. (hence, the shed first)
-- If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs. --Thomas Jefferson
Larry Jaques wrote:

Sounds like some good projects. I'm surprised you are still working on that patio cover. It's been a while, no? ; )
Bill

Touche, Mr. Unfinished Lighting Man.