Desk top

Hi guys,
Just new to woodworking. Can someone tell me what would be a timber for a desk top. I am thinking of using 3/4" ply with the oak veneer finish.
Cheers

That can work. You can also put a solid oak band around the edge to make it look solid wood, not ply. You can use a wider band to make it look thicker also. Just be sure to get the alignment right so you don't sand through the plywood veneer as it is very thin.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

That is how I made the computer table and printer table that I am currently using except that I made the band wood 3/4" thick by 1" wide. A wider band, as well as a thicker band, can improve appearance.
One caution, be sure that the plywood piece is reasonably flat with no bumps from incorrectly laid plies or the sanding problem will bite you. And mark pieces so you always index from the face side. Flip one piece and you will have a mess because you can't sand much, or it will take you forever trying to avoid sanding through the plywood at joints.

Veneer edging would work fine, but you might also consider if it's mostly straight line edges involved, a band of 1/2" or so thick hardwood. I've used that method a number of times and it comes out quite nicely. Also makes for a more durable edge when it comes to bumps and bangs that a veneer edge might not be able to handle.
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:57:44 -0500, "pawseyfamily"

Ply will work fine but you might want to use some type of pad if it will actually be used for writing. Some veneer plywood can have voids and it's possible to push a ball point pen right through it.
Mike O.
pawseyfamily wrote:

Unless you intend to use a desk pad oak does not lend to smooth handwriting.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

pores aren't noticeable. (May in fact be filled by the glue.) One of the reasons that oak plywood finishes differently from unfilled solid oak.
Jess.S