Can someone tell me what sort of pea this is?

This plant has come up in a compost heap. This heap receives the leftover props from a college Economic Botany course, so it might be anything. The foliage looks very much like regular Pisum sativum (English pea) foliage, except that so far, there are no tendrils--and the plant is over a foot tall. The leaflets are thin but a little rubbery and glaucous. The flowers are about an inch long, white with maroon blotches on the wing petals. No fruit yet.

M. Reed

Reply to
monique

Many thanks to the lovely folks who wrote me off-list, pointing out that my mystery plant is Vicia faba, fava bean! It certainly bears no resemblance at all to any species of Vicia I have ever seen in the wild. I think the folks who place it in a separate genus might have something....