Can someone tell me what the size of the nut that secure sthe blades on a John Deere LA 165 Lawn Tractor.

Having trouble removing the blades of my lawn tractor at my summer place. Want to buy a socket but don't know the size
On 5/20/2017 3:44 PM, Dave Riley wrote:

Use an adjustable, but make sure it is a metric one.

Are you sure, my inch crescent wrench fits? Maybe that's the difference between an adjustable wrench and a crescent wrench.
"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message wrote:

Are you sure, my inch crescent wrench fits? Maybe that's the difference between an adjustable wrench and a crescent wrench.
Crescent is manufacture name.

I know. It was a joke.
Woooooooosh.
On 5/20/2017 4:41 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Everything is going metric. I recently added some new tools, like a metric hammer and saw.
On Sat 20 May 2017 05:14:41p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

Oh, I can see the need for a metric hammer. How else would one hammer a metric nail?

On Sat 20 May 2017 01:02:41p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

Curious... If it's adjustable, why does it need to be metric? Or are you just kidding?

Now you're just showin' off!
On 5/20/17 2:44 PM, Dave Riley wrote:

<https://www.muttonpower.com/p-13197-john-deere-48-la145-la155-la165-deck-parts-diagram.aspx Entering the part number GX21694 brought up this page: <http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-58-inch-Locking-Nut--GX21694_p_12620.html Use the chart on the left: <http://www.pacificcoastbolt.com/doc/helpful-info/wrench-charts.pdf A 5/8" nut generally means a 15/16" socket will fit. Note that it's a fine thread lock nut. Those aren't all that common in my little world. Why not get a full socket/wrench set?
caedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85 snipped-for-privacy@example.com says...

Does anyone take time to look in the manual or if they do not have one, to search for one ?
Installing Mower Blades 1. Position mower blade (C) with the cutting edge towards the ground. 2. Align the splined center hole in the blade with the splined spindle shaft (D) and put the blade onto the mower spindle shaft. 3. Install washer, with cupped side towards blade, and install nut to secure blade onto splined spindle shaft. 4. Block mower blade with a piece of wood to prevent spinning and tighten nut: ? Using 15/16 in. socket, tighten 5/8 in. blade nut to 88 N?m (65 lb- ft).
If you can not read letters and only see numbers:
16/16 inch socket.

A tape measure would be a good place to start.
On 5/20/2017 3:44 PM, Dave Riley wrote:

After wrestling with stubborn blade bolts for years, I finally bought a 3/4 drive 6-point impact socket and a 38" breaker bar.
On 5/20/17 6:06 PM, Suna Muhnitch wrote:

Amen on the breaker bar. We use a 30" piece of pipe on a 1/2" drive 15MM socket. That and lots of PB Blaster !! John Deere L111 mower deck has 2 bolts (not nuts) per blade
snipped-for-privacy@nuckle-buster.com says...

Too much trouble. Just use an impact wrench on them.
I do not even have to block the blades to keep them from turning.
On 5/20/2017 6:27 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Yup, one of these days I'm goona get me one. ;-)
On Sat, 20 May 2017 19:44:01 GMT, Dave Riley

Try one of these https://www.google.com/shopping/product/3534192055239995700?biw 44&bihh4&qliper+tool&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&tch=1&ech=1&psi=nYMhWZvlJM3IjwOeyrPYDA.1495368607341.3&sa=X&ved hUKEwjb_ouc-oDUAhUU2WMKHZt-D04Q8wIIlwMwBQ