1 11/16"

Tip of the day

When setting the tablesaw fence to 1 11/16", use the first little line before 1 3/4" Don't use the line just before 1 1/2.

You're welcome

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

And how do you know this? :) :)

Reply to
CW

We are the only country in the world (except Albania?) that might have this problem.

Reply to
Toller

Half an eighth, got it!

BTDT!

Reply to
B A R R Y

7/16, 11/16...WHATEVER! What you were making probably didn't need to be accurate to within 1/4" anyway, right? ;-)

todd

Reply to
todd

Them sisteenths are tricky little bastards. They should number them.

Reply to
gfretwell

Cut it three times and it's still too short?

Reply to
Lee K

| Tip of the day | | When setting the tablesaw fence to 1 11/16", use the first little | line before 1 3/4" Don't use the line just before 1 1/2.

That was yesterday's tip! You're a day late and a quarter short!

| You're welcome

No problem - place the two cut edges together and paint with white out, reverse the DC and saw motors and feed the pieces through backwards while sprinkling fresh toad dust over the whole thing.

It may help if you intone "rabuf" in a singsong voice throughout the uncutting.

Hmm. Now I'm welgone...

Morris Dovey

What little line? My table saw fence doesn't have any little lines. In fact it doesn't have any lines at all.

Reply to
Bill Waller

Experience is defined as:

"What you get when you don't get what you want."

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Just use cheaper wood, then it won't ever happen.

As an aside, and on the same theme ... today I batch cut all the frame chair parts for six chairs (about $300 worth of QSWO), you see below without once using a tape measure or ruler of any type:

saws were all setup with "story stick" parts from the prototype chair saved specifically to use for machine setup so that there would be no measuring errors in either dimension or angles.

... the only way I can get around the fact that I am a dummy with a tape measure more often than not.

Reply to
Swingman

Doh!

Measure twice .... You know the rest! BTDT

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

It was a guy that lives on my street.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Or you could measure 1 1/2" plus three of the little ones.

Walt Cheever

Reply to
Walt Cheever

Maybe in terms of fractions, but I suspect an equivalent screw-up can occur by picking the wrong division between two numbers in any measurement system being employed.

BTW, I discovered that my my Freud tablesaw blade is capable of milling soft steel this weekend. Hint: When making shallow cuts using a tennoning jig, make sure that your tennoning jig has a sacrificial spacer if your tennoning cut will be less than 1/8" (3.1 mm). I now have a nice 1 1/2" radius arc on the face plate of mine. It took a moment for me to realize a) the cut was getting awfully hard and b) I was getting sparks from my 8/4 cherry piece

After the initial, "what the ...?" and questioning my lineage and intelligence, a quick check of the blade and pieces indicated that, with the exception of my now 1/4-mooned jig face, all equipment and project pieces were fine.

Mark & Juanita

:)

Reply to
CW

I thought I was the only one who did that. The only problem is if you measure one in 32nds and then the next in 16ths...

Another important thing to keep in mind is that the first number you come across on your ruler ought to be a 1, not a 12. If you start from the other end 6 plus 3 little ones is actually 6 minus 3 little ones.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

NEVAR EVAR happened to me. Nope.. it's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I always use c-hairs, smidgens and tiches. 14 c-hairs to a tich, 12 tiches to a smidgen..geezz.. thought you knew that. Using that system, you get to know that 1-11/16 doesn't even exist.

Robatoy

No kidding.... Don't know how much time I've wasted counting marks to make sure I was getting the right measurement from the tape ("... okay, half, fourth, eight, sixteenth... okay, sixteenths... and 3 of them less than

3/4... ")

Maybe I'll just buy a metric tape. But then there's the tablesaw fence....

Reply to
Keith Carlson

Long story (probably boring) but I spent a good number of years working in Asia. It kind of pushed me to understand and use metric. After coming home I never went back to Am Std for most measurements. As you guys probably know, it is a much more practical system.

Reply to
Joe Bemier