Microplane ROS discs

Just a note on my first impressions.

I got a pair of medium 5" hook & loop discs for $10. It's supposed to be an alternative to sandpaper, but I think it's more like a very speedy rasp. I'll tell you how speedy. I was making a benchtop thingie out of 2x4s, one of which was all mauled and splintery toward the end of one edge. So I just ground it off with the Microplane. Took *maybe*

15 seconds to hog out a sort of tapering chamfer 1" wide by 3" long. Smooth, too. If you slip and hit the workpiece with the edge, it instantly puts a surprisingly deep and neat kerf where you don't really need one.

I'd play with this on dimensional lumber a lot more before I'd try it on any wood I'd want people to look at, and maybe not even then. But it sure is great for rasping the living bejeezus out of stuff in no time, and it leaves behind a very nice surface, as long as you dont bung the edge into the work. A brutally fun thing, and I'll be looking for chances to use it.

Reply to
boorite

Pat Barber

It sounds like a perfect tool for my wife.. she tends to use the ROS for rougher work that I think it's built for, like sanding decks and stuff... And applying way too much pressure, IMO.. Maybe I could at least get her to use the microplane first.. Mac

mac davis