Butternut Qualities

I just purchased 175 bdft of top grade butternut at a great price of $2.50 Canadian per bdft. I think the going retail price is in the $7.50 range so I'm pretty pleased about that.
I have no experiences whatsoever with butternut and would appreciate any comments on the characteristics of the wood. I planed and sanded a 6" x 12 ft board and it looked really good. There was only one small knot on the entire piece. It seemed to take a finishing nail near the end of the board without any splitting.
Is it primarily a structural wood. Can it be stained, painted, etc.
Thanks in advance.
Glen Duff
Glen Duff wrote:

Butternut works well with power or hand tools and is also good for carving. However, it is about as soft as pine and as strong as well. So it is best used where not subject to impact or heavy structural loads. Fred
Glen Duff wrote:

See:
http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/butternut.htm
Butternut has a tendency to fuzz when sanded but finishes up well under a plane or scraper. In fact it's recommended that it be Neandered.
It can be stained to look nearly like walnut. Personally I like it without stain.
UA100
I find the characteristics of working with it very much like cherry, but softer.
It is quite pretty just oiled....I have never stained it, so don't know how it takes it......
That's a good price, but I get it for about $4 CAD normally.
Use it, experiment, enjoy.
Dan Hamill Atlantic Canada