Butternut squash no fruit

I have a healthly looking plant which is taking over the patch. but so far only male flowers and not a single fruit. Shall I pull it up as its mid september.

Reply to
Mandy Hall

Assuming you are located in the UK, it's probably too late to expect any fruit to set and mature before the days get too short and cool.

Next time, try pruning out the growing tip shortly after the vine starts to run, to encourage side growth. Let at least two plants grow in a 'hill.' If you can get your hands on some good manure, bury it under your squash 'hill.'

Squash like *very* warm weather and abundant sunshine. Where I live we had an extremely hot, dry summer early-to-mid summer. The squash I'm growing this year are gigantic in comparison to a more normal year. (The only other vegetable that also did better than normal was eggplant.)

The biggest are two of the varieties shown on this page (Musquée de Provence and Pleine de Naples):

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz