wild butternut squash?

Growing out of my compost pile is what looks like a butternut squash vine (growing over the chainlink fence the compost pile is next to). The squashes are the color and shape of a butternut squash, but most are larger than I see in the grocery store. One I just picked is about 15" long, but one other still on the vine is oval shaped. Most are the long type.

I haven't had any butternut squash in years so it can't be from seeds I threw in the compost. I suppose I can just eat a bit to see if it's edible but thought I'd ask here in case I might be poisoning myself! :) And isn't this the wrong season for butternut squash?

Thanks for any help.

Gail near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Reply to
Gail Futoran

They will grow larger if fertalized right and I imagine your compost if what it needs.

One I just picked

They might have cross pollinated with something else. Squash do that a lot.

No. I just would have left them on the vine until the stems havd gotten hard and dried out. Try the one you picked, let the rest mature, and then cure them before storage.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

message

news:TNrTc.208137$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

your compost if what

Squash do that a lot.

stems havd gotten

mature, and then

Reply to
Gail Futoran

"Dwayne" wrote [snip]

stems havd gotten

mature, and then

Thanks a lot, Dwayne. I'll give the one I brought in a try and let the rest continue growing.

Gail

Reply to
Gail Futoran