Troubled thyme

I had a lovely thyme in a 10" plastic pot with attached saucer. Leafy, green, full of life. All of a sudden -- that is, within 2-3 weeks -- it's turned into a haystack. the stems have shed all their leaves except at the last 2-3 inches, where they still look good. The stems look dry and brittle. I thought this might be because we have had so much rain lately, and perhaps the soil had become (and remained) waterlogged. I've been tipping out the extra water regularly now, but the plant doesn't look any better.

Does anyone know what this defoliation might be due to?

Reply to
Frogleg

Assuming that the problem is waterlogged soils, it may take weeks (if at all) for the plant to recover. It would be best to keep the pot from getting waterlogged at all even for a short time if possible. Perhaps moving it under a cover or removing the bottom saucer to let the water drain freely.

susan, who knows that sellers of houseplants depend > I had a lovely thyme in a 10" plastic pot with attached saucer. Leafy,

Reply to
Susan K. Wehe

I don't know exactly what your specific problem has been but many years ago i had a garden with about 15 varieties of thyme growing in a garden. I can't recall the weather at the time but suddenly all had curled up their toes, except Thymus nitidus. I still to this day have no idea what happened, i wondered whether i had a soil fungus or similar to which serpyllum was sensitive. any ideas?

Reply to
Wyld_Cat