Ground Wire in plastic box with plastic light fixture

I have a plastic box that attaches to a plastic light fixture. The plastic light fixture does not have a ground wire. What do i do with the bare copper ground wire from the NM 12-2 romex cable. Do i need to attach a grounding screw to the plastic box and terminate or the wire with a wing nut in the box?

Thanks David Houston, TX

Reply to
david

I have a plastic box that attaches to a plastic light fixture. The plastic light fixture does not have a ground wire. What do i do with the bare copper ground wire from the NM 12-2 romex cable. Do i need to attach a grounding screw to the plastic box and terminate or the wire with a wing nut in the box?

Thanks David Houston, TX

Reply to
david

Any light fixture I have used has had a ground wire. If yours doesn't, then it doesn't really matter what you do with the ground wire.

Reply to
Toller

Other than be sure it is located in the box such that the end can't get in contact w/ a hot terminal if there happens to be one in the box...some recommend cutting it back but I wouldn't as there might be a purpose for it some time in the future.

Reply to
dpb

It would be pointless to try and ground a plastic box. No ground screw hole. :p

What I do is put a wire nut on the end, and tuck it far back inside the box. The wire nut is to prevent the free end possibly poking a hot wire, and if the fixture later needs upgrading later, the next electrian might need a wire nut. :D

imho,

tom @

Tom The Great