them designers of old thyme washing machines had some smarts..

Our, I dunno, 40 y/o (purchased used...) traditional top loading Whirlpool brand clothes washer started glitching.

Description: It's got a center mounted, upright, split agitator where the bottom half is directly attached to the spindle and the top does step by step one way rotation.

Simple design.

Anyway, the top portion was just kind of staying in place, moving just a bit or a bat or a that. (The bottom section was doing fine).

So... I looked at that Internet Thing and found plenty of videos. It was a simple matter of getting out a socket wrench to unbolt the spindle, lift it out, slide the two section apart, and...

... and then replace four "agitator dogs", basically, little snippety things that kind of look like the small fish or simlar in a bag of Pepperidge Farms snacks. Or something.

Total actual work time: about ten minutes.

The schmmmarrttt design part? Whenever you have something turning against another something, there's going to be wear and tear. So if you do it right, you design it so one part will wear it quicker, AND be easy to replace.

____________________________________________________ Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key snipped-for-privacy@panix.com [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

Reply to
danny burstein

I prefer the design of old parsley, sage and rosemary washing machines. But, I always make time for thyme.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt