Mold on Butternut Squash

I've harvested about 20 or so Butternut squash this year and recently noticed that there seems to be some mold starting on the stem. Is this due to the area I'm storing them in not being cool enough? If so, if I move them will the mold stop growing or should I peel and freeze them now? TIA

Reply to
BZ

I would take them outside and lay them on the porch and let them stay there for a week or so (as long as it isn't going to freeze). This will let them dry out more. While they are "curing" for storage, the moisture escapes through the stem. That is probably what you are seeing on yours. I still have 5 winter squash in my storage room from picking last September and October (two are butternut).

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Perhaps your squash were picked slightly before complete maturity (the stems should have become completely hard, like the hardest of wood).

Dwayne's point about the squash needing to be 'cured' before going into storage is also important. It's best to lay them out in a warm, sunny place (protected from frost and freeze at night) before putting them into storage.

I also recommend a wash in a disinfecting bleach solution (10 parts water to one part bleach) and a thorough drying before storage.

As for freezing the squash, I always cook them and put them through a food mill first. That way they are good to go for soups, pies, and (a favorite in my house) 'pumpkin' waffles.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Recipe please?

Mary in England so unfamiliar with pumpkin waffles ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm not the waffle chef...and I don't think an exact recipe is used. I'll see what I can do.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz