computer program for scroll sawing

I have heard of a computer program that will use a picture of a person, or anything for that matter, make it into stark black and whites and then you can use it for a pattern to cut out whatever it is. Has anyone heard of this program and if so what is it called? Know where I can buy it? I'd look for it myself but I don't know what it's called. Thanks Bob

Reply to
Bob Itnyre

Mark L.

Just about any photo retouching software will be capable of doing what you want. It is an "effect" to convert the picture to resemble a sketch. In PaintShop Pro it's under "Effects" / "Artist's Effects". You have a choice of "Black Pencil", "Charcoal", "Colored Pencil" etc. In Adobe Photoshop it's under their "Filter" menu. You have various "Artistic" and "Sketch" options.

Nova

Depends in part on what the original is. If it is a person in front of a white wall, that's easy. If it is a person in the midst of other people or a busy background, that's a bit harder.

For the former, an easy to use, FREE!, and well-considered prodgam is the irfan viewer:

Overall, the comments by others here I agree with.

You want to open your image and then get the program to outline the edges

-- sometimes as easy as changing to B&W. In irfan, and the others, it can be useful to first use a tool that outlines the edges in the image. In irfan: image|effects|edge detection. Then I often use image|enhance colors and slide the "gamma correction" slider back and forth - you'll see the effects in a preview box. Next, if necessary, convert to B&W: image|decrease colors|Black & white.

If you need to outline someone in a "busy" image, it's trickier and I have not used those tools much. Some programs can essentially find the person you want and take everything else out almost automatically. And, I am unaware of freeware that will do the job. It may be good enough to use irfan viewer anyway, as described above, and make some adjustemnets as to where you cut.

While I've looked at many image programs over the years and played with them, they can be frustrating, especially since they often come with no or inadequate instructions. The good thing is that you don't have to measure twice, cut once. Unlike the TS, there is an undo button. (Then again, I always make a copy first of the original and work on the copy.) And, so far I've never lost a finger using a graphics program (or using my TS!). Lots of trial-and-ERROR.

Good luck.

Reply to
igor

Sat, Jun 12, 2004, 7:35am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@thegrid.net (Bob=A0Itnyre) pleads eloquently: I'd look for it myself but I don't know what it's called. Thanks Bob

You haven't presented any evidence why, If it's not important enough for you to spend time trying to find it, why should anyone else?

You're welcome.

JOAT You know it's gonna be a bad day, when you turn on the news and they're showing escape routes out of the city.

Reply to
J T

Thanks for the information. I've now got some places to start. Thank You, Bob

Reply to
Bob Itnyre

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 13:05:57 -0400, Nova calmly ranted:

Corel Trace might be a better choice. Or Painter; with an overlay, he could trace the proper lines for cutout. (Then again, I have a digital tablet and pen which makes those jobs a whole lot easier.)

------------------------------------------ Friends don't let friends read "Wired"

Wondrous Website Design =============================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There is a great group over at MSN that deals primarily with scroll saw portraits. Look it up here:

the forums there I have seen step by step instructions of how to do this with most of the leading graphics programs, even including Paint, which is on most windows based machines.

Good luck.

Reply to
Lucias Clay

Oh, but I was looking for a group for scroll saws just for left-handers!

Every time I see a repsonse like yours - which is sooo perfect - I laugh because many times there is, in fact, a group that is exactly focused on the thing being sought. Sometimes this NG is like the classic hardware store: No matter what someone is looking for, if it's not out front then it's on some shelf upstairs in the back - or in this case, at another NG.

Reply to
igor

Reply to
Sprog

The OP didn't ask anyone to find it. He asked what it was called so that HE could look for it. If you DON'T have the name for him, why don't you simply ignore the thread?

Better to keep one's mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

Gerry

Reply to
G.E.R.R.Y.